F32 extra batteries

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
daletournier

F32 extra batteries

Post by daletournier »

I have 2x 6v house batteries and a starter battery under the companionway steps of my F32. i would like to double my house battery capacity by adding two more 6v. Has anyone added more batteries to a Freedom 32? and if so where did you put them?
Cheers
Dale Tournier
Freeform.

Rick Simonds

Re: F32 extra batteries

Post by Rick Simonds »

I left one, now larger, starter battery under the steps and put 4 golf cart batteries in the aft-most compartment under the settee seat (the compartment ahead of the icebox and to port of the engine.) The fit very well with 2 turned fore-and-aft, one turned sideways and another fore-and-aft. They’re 6 volt and they’re wired in series/parallel to make one big 12V house bank.

Rick
Tallahassee

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Rick, that would be a great spot as it also helps compensate for the starboard watertank but that is where my refrigerator compressor/condenser is, do you have a fridge and if so where is your compressor etc? Ive got 240amp/hr now which with solar panels and wind generator is sufficient its just if I lose one 6volt ive lost my house bank therefore would like to double it. Just as a side note Ive got my poor little boat loaded right up as Ill be in Asia in 6 weeks and to my surprise it hasnt seemed to effect its sailing ability, they obviously can carry some weight.
Cheers Dale Tournier
Freeform.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I don’t have refrigeration, just ice. If I ever get it I’ll look at putting it in the hanging locker in the aft cabin, under the bunk or, best if possible, under the steps. I thought about putting the house batteries in the (suitably reinforced) aft hanging locker but, from memory, I decided they wouldn’t fit. I also looked under the aft bunk but it did not seem tall enough, though gel cells lying on their side would easily fit. Somewhere deep in the cockpit locker was a possibility, too.

No real-world experience here, but by building a suitable sturdy shelf of some sort, and with some sort of protective cover above them, 2 batteries might fit just inside the door to the hanging locker in the head. It would be a handy spot for cabling and maintenance, too. I’m thinking my starting battery may end up there if the ‘fridge ends up under the steps. That project is not even on the horizon right now, though.

I just ended up putting the house bank batteries in the settee compartment because of the starboard water tank. It helped, but it didn’t completely eliminate the “full tank list.”

(And pardon me while I whine totally off-topic for just a moment: I spent nearly the whole day today repacking the propeller stuffing box. That should take, what, an hour? Everything had so much green corrosion on it that nothing would move. I spent several hours hanging upside down with penetrating oil, Dremel tools, dental picks, wire brushes and pipe wrenches.

Success, ultimately, and it feels really great to finally have some blood back in my head.)

Rick
Tallahassee

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Thanks Rick, Ive actually just brought and stored a spare 6 volt in the back cabin locker but i would prefer if I had a second bank to get them further down the hull where you have them, quite abit of weight. Continuing with your off course, I just recently replacced my PSS shaft prop shaft seal with a tides marine lip seal and had a very frustrating time getting the coupling off (hours).
Cheers dale
Freeform.