Transducer Installation F35

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Meltemi

Transducer Installation F35

Post by Meltemi »

Hi All,

My 1996 F35 has the original Raymarine instruments. Last season, with the boat in the water, the masthead wind unit broke. I replaced the masthead unit and display. It didn't make economic sense to buy only the wind instrument only so I bought the entire package of wind, depth and speed.

Before the boat goes into the water this Spring I will be working with a certified Raymarine installer to install the depth and speed. Life would have been simple if the diameter of the transducer units was the same as the original thru-hull allowing for simply popping out the old one and sticking in the new one but, of course, the new transducers are a larger diameter than the originals. This requires boring a new hole through the hull.

I have no indication that there is water in the core and I very definitely hope I don't find any. What is the best way to re-seal the core after installing the new transducer? Is there something I should avoid, a shortcut NOT to take, etc. The company that I'm working with told me that the technique that they use is the same as the factory uses. I'd appreciate any input on what to look for and what to look out for. This is obviously critical.

Thanks
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI

mike cunningham

Re: Transducer Installation F35

Post by mike cunningham »

I own a 30 and upgraded to ST60 + instruments about 2 years ago. The original datamarine transducer through hulls were very slightly too small - drat!!. Turns out the thru hulls are close enough to centerline that they do not penetrate cored hull. On my boat the laminate is solid about six inches either side of centerline. You may want to check your situation. You may find the core won't be a problem.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Meltemi

Re: Transducer Installation F35

Post by Meltemi »

Mike,
Thanks for the tip. I took a closer look at the location of the transducers and it does appear that they are in solid laminate not core. I'm happy about that.
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI