Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
brusi

iPad

Post by brusi »

I've a 62g iPad, what type of charts I should get? Txs, ben

moosemcclintock

Re: iPad

Post by moosemcclintock »

I got the iNavX program from the App Store, it's got all of the US charts you can get and is a navigation program as well.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I use the iNavX software on my ipad as well. Excellent software package - user friendly, intuitive and all of the US charts are free from NOAA. My only disappointment is that it does not (and I'm told will not) work with the ActiveCaptain database.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

ericsmith3d

Post by ericsmith3d »

navimatics Charts & Tides, US East Coast, does ActiveCaptain and is a reasonable charting program. I prefer Garmin's BlueChart Mobile. It does ActiveCaptain, radar weather (with an internet connection), Gribs and, for a fee, premium weather. I don't recall the prices but neither was unreasonable.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Jeppesson Plan2Nav, free from App Store, is good, although you have to buy the C-Map charts. They are detailed and accurate, at least around Scandinavia, and have enough contrast to be viewable in all but direct bright sunshine. The app is easy to use, and can show local weather if you have a 3G internet connection running.

'Compass Eye' and 'Spyglass' are surprisingly useful, too, and the bearings are reasonably accurate.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

joseph.syc

Post by joseph.syc »

I use Navionics, both here in my home waters in SF Bay, and I have used on two Mediterranean charters in Turkey in 2011 and the French Riviera this year. I use the Bad Elf GPS chip with my iPad for location (the iPad is a wireless only version).
S/V Timbuktu
Freedom 32 - Hoyt
Hull #43