solar panel system setup - request for advise

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics

Re: solar panel system setup - request for advise

Postby seadago » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

...and... absolutely many thanks to all that contributed and offered advise and experience. If the thing is a flop, it's entirely my fault! :lol: :roll:
seadago

Postby GeoffSchultz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:09 am

Looks good! Lots of luck (and sunshine)!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org
GeoffSchultz

Postby folotp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Relating to the location of the controller, you typically want it as close to the batteries as possible especially if your panel voltage is high. My panels output at 48V thus the wire size required to minimize voltage drop at 48V is much lower than at 12V. So big $ savings in keeping the longer wire runs at 48V!

If you have multiple panels that will be shaded differently at different times of day, you are much better having one controller per panel as it will allow them to extract as much as they can from each of the panels. If however the panels were to be installed in a location where they are never shaded, then one controller is fine. If using multiple controllers, do make sure that all the controllers are setup with the same charging parameters as otherwise one might switch to float and basically shutdown while another one is still in absorption.

Good luck!
Pierre-André Folot
s/v “Farfelu” - Freedom 39 PH 1983, hull #14
Sailing the Thousand Islands and Lake Ontario
Canada
folotp

Postby seadago » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:24 am

folotp wrote:Relating to the location of the controller, you typically want it as close to the batteries as possible especially if your panel voltage is high. My panels output at 48V thus the wire size required to minimize voltage drop at 48V is much lower than at 12V. So big $ savings in keeping the longer wire runs at 48V!

If you have multiple panels that will be shaded differently at different times of day, you are much better having one controller per panel as it will allow them to extract as much as they can from each of the panels. If however the panels were to be installed in a location where they are never shaded, then one controller is fine. If using multiple controllers, do make sure that all the controllers are setup with the same charging parameters as otherwise one might switch to float and basically shutdown while another one is still in absorption.

Good luck!

Thanks Pierre Andre!

Agree with you. Being connected in parallel with 12 V battery system, the voltage will not be too high. Re shading, with panels on that location, I've given up trying to model and predict the loss of efficiency. Too many variables interacting in different scenarios! Will have to manage on a daily basis. This was one of the reasons to place the controllers in an easy to see location, where I can monitor charging at a glance, without having to move cushions and open under bunk lockers. I makes the whole install inelegant and looking like an amateur job (which, strictly speaking, it is), but hey.... mine is a very practical boat! :)
seadago

Previous

Return to Electrical and Electronics