Rudder Bearings

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
GeoffSchultz

Rudder Bearings

Post by GeoffSchultz »

How does one know when a rubber bearing needs to be replaced? The reason that I ask is because this weekend I was diving on the boat to check out an issue with the prop shaft and decided to check the rudder. When I pulled on the tip, there was probably 1/2"+ of movement.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Michel

Re: Rudder Bearings

Post by Michel »

Half an inch at the tip doesn't sound like a lot because the rudder is probably a bit flexible; can you see how much play there is at the hull? That can't be much with a 1/2" at the tip. And aren't these bearings conical and therefore selfadjusting?
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

DaysailorJ

Post by DaysailorJ »

Geoff,

I agree with Michel that 1/2" at the rudder tip does not sound excessive. When I first had my boat surveyed in 2003, there was about that much play through the entire rudder, indicating some intitial bearing wear. The movement increased, very gradually, until it became noticeable in the steering by the Fall of 2007 (approx. 2-3" of movement through entire rudder length), and I decided replacing the bearing was prudent before heading offshore. (Just for reference, the bearing R&R was around $950 for labor (Brewer), and $535 for the new Tides bearing (from Paul Dennis).

John

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

1/2 inch at the tip of the rudder is the result of a very small movement at the bearing. This is hopefully due to the long arm of the rudder, and not flex of the rudder. With the kind of load you can put on it swimming around under it, it should flex... zero.

The way I've always decided has been to shake the rudder when the boat is on the hard. I'm checking for movement at the bearing and a "knocking". I wish I knew the "scientific" answer but if you are only having that 1/2 inch at the tip of the rudder, and no "knocking" when you shake it, and no performance issues while in use such as binding, then I'd say fugetaboutit.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage