MaxProp Settings for a 40/40

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
GeoffSchultz

MaxProp Settings for a 40/40

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I've been plagued with a prop shaft vibration issue & when I discussed it with PYI, they immediately knew what I was talking about. I ran some tests and found that the MaxProp was out of spec. It needed to be pulled & sent in for reconditioning.

I didn't have a prop puller, so I had the boat yard's "mechanic" in La Paz, Mexico pull it for me. He claimed to have done it before, but clearly had no idea how to take it apart & take the readings off it it. I was yelling at him to stop as he pulled it out, but by that time it was too late.

Luckily Brewer's Sakonnet had the setting which I'll reproduce here for anyone:

Y=H
X=E 18 degree RH Rotation.

This is for a 20" 3-blade classic MaxProp. I don't know if these settings are universal, but they've worked well for me.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Paul Langevin

Re: MaxProp Settings for a 40/40

Post by Paul Langevin »

Geoff - I have a 40/40 hull # 11 and have used the same settings that you recommend with good results. Paul Langevin S?v Star Struck
Paul Langevin S/V StarStruck, Freeedon 40/40

danjohns

Post by danjohns »

Geoff, Do you still agree on the 18 degree pitch? Mine was set at 16 degrees but I just had it refurbished.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

While I believe that 20" is too large due to the speed of the prop tips at optimal cruising RPM (18" with more pitch would have been much better), the 18 degree setting has worked well for me on a 20" prop.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org