stuffing box

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
jschneider

stuffing box

Post by jschneider »

I recently bought an F30. I noticed that the drip from the stuffing box does not go directly into the bilge but rather collects in a tray under the motor. Once it overflows, the water does go into the bilge but by this time it comes into contact with the motor (not a good idea). Is there a way to deal with this, or should I consider installing a dripless stuffing box this winter? (an expensive proposition). Thanks for the help.
JSchneider
Weeble, F30
Huntington, NY

GeoffSchultz

Re: stuffing box

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I don't have your boat, but it seems to me that you have 4 options:
  1. Install a drip-catching device under the stuffing box and route the water directly to the bilge.
  2. Shorten the tray so that the drips don't collect in it.
  3. Install a hose from the tray to the bilge so that it doesn't collect much water.
  4. Install a dripless seal
-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I thought that the F-30s came with a Syntron mechanical seal, not a stuffing box.

On the other hand, my F-30 has a Norscott seal that someone apparently retrofitted, so I guess someone could have installed a stuffing box.

If it is a mechanical seal and not a stuffing box then shouldn't the leakage be addressed (like Tricia did) by installing a new seal and maybe shaft, not just conveying the leakage to the bilge?
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

I called it a stuffing box but it doesn't look like a traditional one. Will investigate further and let you know. Thanks for the reply.

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

Thank you Rvivian! I checked and indeed I have a Syntron shaft seal. After some investigating, I spoke to the people in Garlock who now make the seal and they knew exactly what I was talking about. The bad news is that a new one costs about $900 (not a misprint!) Did anyone install a PSS dripless shaft seal on their boat? They go for about $250. I had one in my previous boat and it worked great.
Thanks for your information. The people in my marina had never heard of a Syntron seal!!
JSchneider

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

I replaced my Syntron with a Tides Marine dripless seal that had been factory customized for the Freedom. PSS seals are too big for the F30. I got mine from Paul Dennis at Warren River Boatworks. It cost $282 including shipping. You may find that the syntron has scored the shaft and you need to replace it. You may also find that you need to cut back a bit of the fiberglass around the shaft log so that the seal will slide on far enough to use 2 clamps on. I think I also had to cut about 1/4" of the shaft log so the front end of the seal wouldn't run into the coupling. I used a multimaster type tool to both cut the log and trim back the glass. It wasn't hard.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

I had a PSS seal but it started grabbing causing a concerning vibration, replaced it with a Tides marine seal which seems to work well. To use a tides seal (lip seal) the prop shaft where the seal runs must be free of score marks. These seals are also water injected so a reliable anti siphon valve is required or you run the risk of siphoning back into your engine and creating a hydro lock situation. I am happy with the tides seal over the PSS?
Cheers Dale
Freeform

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I didn't have a Syntron & at this hour of the AM I can't remember what the old one was, but I replaced it with a PSS and have been quite happy. The new models which are self burping are very good.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

I have F28CK which has plenty of space for seal and drips directly into the bilge. I decided to replace my 14 year old PSS seal. I looked at several options including new PSS. The new PSS requires a vent line above the water line which is connected to a plastic fitting on the PSS. I decided to install a new Buck Algonquin packing box with Graphtex Ultra shaft packing. Reputably this combination yields an almost drip free system. My decision was based on the KISS principle. Packing can be replaced with boat in water with universally available packing materials. Most dripless solutions require special parts and the boat be out of the water. I was nervous about the plastic parts in the vent hose; if that breaks while the boat is unattended you no longer have a dripless system.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

Tricia: DO you also have an F30? The distance from the end of the fiberglass tube to the motor coupling in my F30 is only about 3.5 inches. Obviously is not enough for a PSS, but according to the specs it is also too short for a Tides Marine seal. Did Warren River Boatworks customized a seal for you? Thanks for your help.
JSchneider