Need some drive line parts ASAP

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Kimber

Need some drive line parts ASAP

Post by Kimber »

Hello All,
I've been lurking here for awhile and absorbing the great information. I bought a somewhat neglected F39 Express (cat ketch) a few months ago. I've gone through most of the systems onboard replacing and repairing things as I find them. It seemed I had worked my way past the big items but being a boat, it had another surprise for me!

Our planned 3 week holiday sailing trip turned into a tear the boat apart back at the slip and then try and find parts during the holidays nightmare....

The damper plate on my Hurth HBW 150V (aka ZF 15MIV) decided to toss out springs and parts on the first day of our trip. After taking apart most of the galley to get the V drive tranny out, and break a few bolts off in the process, it seems prudent to do a rebuild on it while it's out because I never want to do this again. :oops:

What I've been searching for is a master repair kit and a new damper plate. What I'm finding is that many places are closed for the holidays, won't ship to the USVI, or don't have the parts in stock.

The damper plate seems especially evasive. It has a 6.25 inch outer diameter and 6 holes for bolts that attach it to the flywheel. There seems to be numerous 5 and 8 hole ones. I suppose I could use this old one as a guide and drill holes as needed to fit but I'd rather just put in the correct one if possible.

The tach sensor was a mangled mess, I've gotten a new one to replace it and I've acquired a rear main seal for the engine too. Is there anything else I should be doing since this is all apart?

I'd be grateful if anyone could point me towards a company that is open and willing to ship the needed parts expeditiously to me. I'd really like to salvage some of our vacation but that's not looking very good at the moment.

Thanks for your time.
1985 F39 Express

OldRover

Re: Need some drive line parts ASAP

Post by OldRover »

Try Foley Engines in MA. They have Hurst/ZF rebuild kits and dampers. They are open during the holidays (today and tomorrow for sure), and they do ship quickly. Should stock all you need.
Interesting you have the 6 bolt. I had problems locating the damper for my HBW125v mated to a Perkins (10 spline, 5 bolt on 5.5 inch center). I've pm their contact info since I'm not sure about board rules.
Hope that helps, good luck.
'82 F39 ph

Kimber

Re: Need some drive line parts ASAP

Post by Kimber »

Thanks for that lead. I was able to get things ordered on Friday. Looking forward to getting everything back together and going sailing.
1985 F39 Express