Frozen Engine Shut Off Cable

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Meltemi

Frozen Engine Shut Off Cable

Post by Meltemi »

Hi All,

I have a frozen engine shut off cable on a F35 Pedrick with a Yanmar 3GM30F. Anyone know the proper replacement cable?

Thanks
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI

jdpandlp

Re: Frozen Engine Shut Off Cable

Post by jdpandlp »

I replaced the shut-off cables on a 28 Freedom and my 39 Express, in both cases they were standard Yanmar Part numbers.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

It might not be a Yanmar part. If they are the original cables from the 80's they may be made by Morse, or they may be made by Teleflex. I understand that Teleflex has now bought Morse, so pretty much everything is Teleflex now.

There should be a code number molded into the outer plastic cover near one end. These things are somewhat standardized now, there are only a few styles of what the end fittings look like, and the code really just says how long it is. If they are really old it's possible it may not have the code on it and all you can do is take it out and match it up to a new one at the marine supply store.

Rick
Tallahassee

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

On my previous boat, an F30, I was able to get parts at a bike shop!
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

carhelpguy31

Post by carhelpguy31 »

I just replaced my cable on our 30/32. The marina we are at had one in stock. Only charged us maybe 30 dollars for it. The cable came right from Yanmar. The replacements go by the length of the existing cable. I believe there were four options in the catalog when we looked it up last year.
Mike Russell
Bazinga!
Freedom 30/32
Cheboygan, MI.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Back in the day (late 80s and early 90s), the Yanmar cables were made of a material that could corrode - and they often froze up after 4 to 5 years. The Morse cables were made of a non-corroding material and never froze - so were the preferred replacement. Sounds like things have moved in the right direction if Morse is now the standard.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

Meltemi

Post by Meltemi »

Thanks for the input everybody. The replacement Yanmar cable had a part number with a 7000 mm length (23'). The job was fairly easy. The cable was reasonably accessible. WAY easier than when I replaced a shut off cable on my last boat. It wasn't all that expensive either - about $30. Imagine that.
F35 - Pedrick
1996 Hull #60
Newport, RI