Volvo engine/gearbox in UK F35 ketch

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Castaway

Volvo engine/gearbox in UK F35 ketch

Post by Castaway »

I have an F35 c/b ketch, UK built in 1987, with a Volvo 2003 engine (no turbo, raw water cooled), and a Volvo gearbox, driving a 15" diam. 12" pitch 2-blade propeller. Has anyone got one the same, and if so, do you know the gearbox reduction ratio, please? My boat and all documentation are in Germany, and I am thinking of getting a Kiwi feathering prop. They want these details. If you could let me know from the manual, it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance for all answers.

Kind regards
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

ausgado

Re: Volvo engine/gearbox in UK F35 ketch

Post by ausgado »

Hi,
Have a F33 Kat ketch had trouble with my volvo 2003 engine so replaced six years ago with: 'Volvo-Penta' brand 40HP 4Cylinder Diesel engine. Driven through a Volvo M551A reduction GB turning the Propeller: 'Volvo-Penta' brand Three blade folding, via Stern Gland: Bronze with rubber gland. Propeller shaft: 25mm stainless steel.
Have been very happy with the result..
For what it's worth can forward photos if interested
cheers Geoff (Port Phillip Aus.)

oryx

Post by oryx »

My Freedom 35 is the keel version & was built in 1984. It has the same 2003 engine & two-bladed prop. The ratio shown in the paperwork when the spline was renewed or converted was 2.4 : 1. The manual states that the gearboxes could also be 3.0 : 1. Hope this helps.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Thanks for your help, Oryx; sorry to be so late in reply. It does seem to be the same. I'll recount my propeller adventures at a later date.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland