Lofrans Leopard windlass failed

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
brico

Lofrans Leopard windlass failed

Post by brico »

Hi,

On my 1986 F36 Lofrans Leopard windlass failed. Mortor is running but shaft and gypsy is not turning. I suspect the worm gear or the other one in the case under deck is either worn out or something broken. There was no indication of trouble and I only changed one foot switch on the deck last year, otherwise windlass was excellent up until couple of days ago. I managed to anchor disconnecting chain rode and using only three braid 5/8" nylon rope. Weather was good and holding ground as well, biut I was not comfortable not having any chain and hauling 80ft of rope and anchor with my back muscles was not entertaining either.
Looking at the website I do not know if this windlass came new with the boat (it seems old) or it was fitted after the boat was built. I've tried removing theunit under deck and it is seized badly with massive oxidation but i"ll give it a go again. Even if i cannot repair I will have to remove it hence the effort.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular windlass? are spare parts available in US or Canada and from which distributor?
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage