reduction gear oil seal

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
anthony

reduction gear oil seal

Post by anthony »

Has any one replaced the rear oil seal in the transmission ? I see oil spattered 360°around the transmission coupling (the coupling to the propeller shaft). Any tips / advice would be greatly appreciated.

anthony marsibilio
T2 1989 F 36/38
3 Mile Harbor NY

peaceandfreedom

Re: reduction gear oil seal

Post by peaceandfreedom »

I replaced the seals on my transmission but I had the unit removed for the boat. It is however possible to replace the seal with the transmission in place. You need to disconnect the prop shaft from the flange, and then remove the flange. The nut has a left hand thread and is staked. Free up the stake and you should be able to remove the nut. You need to somehow lock the engine at the crank pulley so you can lock the transmission shaft. I have a piece of aluminum stock with three holes that line up with the tapped holes on the crank shaft pulley. You need a large socket and a long breaker bar to break the nut loose. With the flange removed you can pry out the old seal. It will most likely get damaged in the process. Next you need press the new seal in place. With a piece op tubing with ID larger than the output shaft and OD smaller that the seal you can tap the new seal in place. Be certain the keep the seal nice and square to the housing and not to damage the seal.

Happy sailing,
Jim D

anthony

Post by anthony »

Thank You Jim. Thats what i needed to know.

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

Hi Anthony, Jim Ds description is spot on. I replaced my oil seal last summer with the engine (2QM15) and transmission in the boat. I made a tool to remove the output shaft coupling nut. Mine was staked as Jim said but once I removed the stake removing the nut with my tool was easy. Yanmar sells a tool which can be special orderded thru the factory ($260). Good Luck Art L
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI