Tight shifter

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
rbpfyo

Re: Tight shifter

Post by rbpfyo »

so with the black knob in, the red shifter *should* be able to shift fairly smoothly/freely between fwd, neutral, and rev?
hmmm - sounds like I need to rebuild shifter and replace cables

I did not notice a kill knob or t-hande anywhere near the wheel, just the locking knob for locking the wheel/setting course
(and stop button on the engine panel - what does that do?)
I will check more thoroughly next weekend
thanks!

rbpfyo

Post by rbpfyo »

this may be a stupid question, but how does the engine stop? i.e. I know there's an ignition key, and a red kill button next to it, and apparently an emergency pull handle somewhere (not near the wheel - someone may have disconnected mine), but it's a diesel - what kills it? need to either shut down air or fuel to it, right? what does the stop button do? come to think of it, why does my VW engine stop running when I turn the key off? what's actually happening? (I think the VW has an electric shutoff of the IP, if memory serves... but not the Yanmar)
?

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

You stop a diesel engine by stopping the fuel, the key only enables/disables the starter motor system (and, on mine, the alternator system, too.) If you have a pull handle then you are just mechanically stopping the fuel with a push/pull cable, if you have a kill button that you push you are doing it electrically using a solenoid. Either way there's probably a small lever built into the high pressure fuel injector pump of the engine. Either the pull handle or the solenoid will hook to that lever and pull it to shut off the fuel. I imagine your (diesel?) VW does this with a solenoid just wired to the key switch (a gasoline engine just shuts off the ignition system.)

Rick
Tallahassee