Prop Shaft installation

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Belanich

Prop Shaft installation

Post by Belanich »

I'm ready to install a new shaft in my F38 and I have a question. Will the shaft fit past the rudder with the new cutless bearing in place or do I need to install the bearing after the shaft is passed through the strut and clears the rudder. The latter will force me to have the marina install the cutless bearing because I don't have the tool to do this. When I removed the old shaft this wasn't an issue because I cut the shaft.
Thanks,
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65

philipl

Re: Prop Shaft installation

Post by philipl »

Although I believe you can get the shaft passed the rudder with the bearing in place. My yard insisted on dropping the rudder when they installed a new shaft and bearing.
Philip Leahy
F-38 ex Manchester, MA.

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

Years ago I replaced the shaft etc. on my 1986 F36 and was able to do it without removing the rudder. I recall it was a tight but doable.
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI

Craig

Post by Craig »

From what I understand, you can get the shaft past the rudder with a little finesse. My yard, however, insisted upon dropping the rudder.

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

I talked to Paul Dennis about this very thing a few weeks ago. On the F30 he told me if you pull the cutlass bearing before you attempt shaft removal you can just slide past the rudder. Not sure if this would apply to other models.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

I finished installing the engine mounts yesterday (Oh what fun). I then I tried to install the prop shaft . It will not fit past the rudder with the Maxprop hub still attached. I forgot the puller at home so I will try again tomorrow. It looks like it should just make it past the rudder. Today I let my back rest and I'm varnishing the teak wheel at home.

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Prop shaft has been installed! So for anyone with a F36/38 the prop shaft can fit past the rudder if you do the following:
1. remove the cutless bearing
2. tape a piece of plastic (I used a milk container) to the rudder where the shaft will slide against it
3. push hard sideways and forward on the shaft - you need to flex the shaft about 1/2 inch to get it in
The yard where I keep the boat (Coney's Marine) assured me that flexing the shaft a bit is fine.

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto F38 #65