F28/30 CK centerboard/centreboard tackle

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
andygc

F28/30 CK centerboard/centreboard tackle

Post by andygc »

Good morning all

After successfully removing the centreboard of my F30 CK* I'm now looking at repairing the lifting tackle. The fixed blocks are straightforward - I need one new sheave with a pivot bush, and, after much soaking in diesel and the application of not such a big hammer to the pin, an old sheave drilled out to take a pivot bush. I'd be grateful for any advice on what the moving end of the tackle should be. The original block had been replaced with an under-sized tufnol double with becket, which is distorted and seized solid. Does anybody have a photo of the original tackle, or can anybody who has refitted a centreboard on a 28 or 30 let me know what they used to replace the original block?

Thanks for any help
Andy

* A crane, a lot of help, a very big hammer and half a day. It's amazing how thoroughly a couple of pieces of a plastic sheave can jam half a ton of glass and lead.
Sold for health reasons :(

Castaway

Re: F28/30 CK centerboard/centreboard tackle

Post by Castaway »

Hi, Andy,

Here's some pictures of the centreboard pennant on Castaway. It's worth spending some time getting the leads on the pennant to lie neatly and not cross or rub against each other when under tension, as this increases the effort of raising the board and also can cause a jam. I had this problem when someone else replaced the block with one that was inadequate. The pennant rode over the edge of a sheave and jammed between it and the cheek. I had to buy a very substantial replacement in Helsinki to fix it.
This is the double block and becket attached to the aft end of the board; the pennant starts (or ends) here, goes forward, aft, forward, aft, forward and then up to the deck.
This is the double block and becket attached to the aft end of the board; the pennant starts (or ends) here, goes forward, aft, forward, aft, forward and then up to the deck.
centre board 1.jpg (106.09 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
the attachment point on the C/B
the attachment point on the C/B
centre board 2.jpg (108.34 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
the block without the pennant; this is the one that gave way!
the block without the pennant; this is the one that gave way!
c-bd.jpg (64.72 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Hope these are of some use.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

andygc

Re: F28/30 CK centerboard/centreboard tackle

Post by andygc »

Thank you for the pictures - yes, I have taken a block like that off my centreboard! It had seized solid. The replacement, yet to go in, is a Selden 80mm plain bearing block, which should be up to the job.
Sold for health reasons :(