shiffter

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
lewharve

shiffter

Post by lewharve »

we had to move the boat.
we were turning the boat and got stuck in the mud. I gave it some fuel and it busted free but was quickly heading to the pier I put in reverse full the throttle and gear got stuck in reverse at full speed and boom into the bulkhead.
we spent the day on the bulkhead waiting for boat us.
The damage is not that much I will check today. I hit an aluminum ladder which I think took the shock.
what do I need to fill the dings
what do I need to do is fix the shifter any ideas

gamayun

Re: shiffter

Post by gamayun »

Ouch, Lew, sorry to hear. If you have the Edson pedestal, you can get the new parts from them. My shifter busted a few years back. It was the pin inside that broke, but it might be your cable that runs to the engine. I replaced both. Edson will talk you through on the parts you need and the pedestal diagrams are on the web, too. To get to the shifter, you have to remove the compass if you have one on the binacle. Make sure you mark the compass and the binacle so you know where to align them back together. Then you can get access to the shifter mechanism. There was also a bolt way down below that I had a devil of a time with and so it's not all that easy. Maybe someone has some tricks to this. I bought super long vice grips. I guess I could have removed the whole pedestal but that seemed like overkill at the time. It might make things easier though.

What kind of "dings" did you get? Can you post a picture? If they're slight, but have gone through the gelcoat and into the fiberglass (but not extensive), they can be ground out lightly and then filled with thickened epoxy. Once dry, sand smooth to match the adjacent gelcoat surface. You can then paint over, but it's always going to look like a repair job. Good luck with it all!!

Oh! Post script...look carefully and make sure you remove the compass housing -- NOT the screws to the compass itself, which will drain all the oil. Ask me how I know....
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

On reading this again....did you throw it into gear when it was under full power or did you throttle back first? I just realized that I gave you info on the throttle and not the shifter. Either way, you can remove the throttle cable from the engine and I suppose you can do the same for the transmission shifter but I don't know how to manually shift that. It seems you'll want to check to see if you might have some issue with your transmission first before you go through all the things I mentioned at the pedestal. Just a thought to diagnose the problem first. I hope it's not the transmission!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

lewharve

Post by lewharve »

I am sorry for keep troubling you about my boat.

my halyard got jammed so I arranged for a bucket truck.

when moving the boat to the bulkhead I got stuck in the mud. I gave it fuel to get out, and it popped out but I was heading very fast to another boat. I threw it in reverse and it jammed in reverse and I hit the bulkhead hard. how ever a poor aluminum took most of the force so damage was limited.

what will go wrong wit the shifting to lock it in full reverse. what are the specs of the control cables. like where can I get them if you think that is the problem. or do you think it could be the linkage in the transmission.

I was unable to do anything on the mast as the bolt holding the shive is locked in place. II guess I will have to pull the mast as I have other to do on it. is there anything I need to consider to do this.

Thank you so much for your help

Lew Trautz