New engine for UK F 35 cat ketch

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
seadago

Re: New engine for UK F 35 cat ketch

Post by seadago »

Thanks Gerald!
I also had endless trouble with the original Volvo Nausikaa came with. Had enough room to install a shallow sump engine only. Ended up choosing a Beta 16. Happy so far with it. Won't steam anywhere fast, but that's not the purpose anyway. Beta or Sole (apart from Volvo but far less expensive) are good engines for these boats. Both with Kubota engine blocks and shallow sumps as optional. Let us know how it goes.
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

We had a new Volvo dI-30 sent from Gothenberg to Glasgow, then back to Sweden; the mechanic was slow getting started on the installation, and we were driving through Holland to reach the boat when we had a phone call to say the new engine could not fit in the available space. !!! We had the old engine put back, so that we could sail this season. Anyone want a new and unused Volvo D1-30 plus gearbox, delivered anywhere in Europe, (with tax paid status in EU and UK)?
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

dracoplasm

Post by dracoplasm »

So did you replace the engine in the end? We have an old Volvo Penta, and when the RPM is a bit to hight there will be smoke (everywhere). It starts great, it goes its al fine but we have just enough power (we are almost still in the water against current and wind). So I was looking into an new engine, or perhaps go electric and take a small generator with me just in case we need to use the engine for 8+ hours or something.

So I am interested in what you have done in the end.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Dracoplasm wrote: – "
So I am interested in what you have done in the end."

What we did is got the mechanic to overhaul the old engine and re-install it in the boat. There was a problem with the gearbox, and he has hopefully fixed that in 2019, but we haven't been back since. The engine ran well, once we replaced the lift pump fuel line.

If you want a new and unused Volvo engine and gearbox, 'VAT paid' status in UK or EU, do please PM me!

I would love to have an electric engine; even with 48V batteries it would probably be lighter, but I can make a 36 hour passage under power with a diesel, and I don't fancy crossing the North Sea without that option; the weather can change too quickly, and I am too old to tough it out! One night hove to in a gale was enough experience for me to tell over dinner! A generator big enough to charge the batteries as you go would have to be as nearly as big as a main engine, I would think. If you relied on shore power for charging, the draw would probably exceed most visitor berths' supply amperage, I suspect.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland