Overheating Yanmar - Troubleshooting

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Robert

Overheating Yanmar - Troubleshooting

Post by Robert »

Since the purchase of 'Magic', a 1985 Freedom 32 fitted with a Yanmar 3 GMF, it has been impossible to exceed 2,300 RPM's without the engine overheating. This made a journey from Oriental, NC via the ICW to Norfolk, VA very tedious.

Prior to making the journey, the boat had been hauled and the through-hulls checked for operation and any restrictions cleared. The Raw Water Strainer was cleaned and the Raw Water Pump impeller checked, the outlet from the Raw Water Pump was also checked, along with the tube-stack of the Heat Exchanger for any broken impeller bits or blockage caused by calcification. As the following picture shows, all was OK.
Clear Tubes
Clear Tubes
Tube Stack (Small).JPG (53.57 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
Clean End Cap
Clean End Cap
Clean End Cap (Small).JPG (64.43 KiB) Viewed 12204 times
So, after replacing the o-rings and diverter gaskets, the heat exchanger was reassembled. But this didn't prevent the overheat problem.

Continued............
Last edited by Robert on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

s/y 'Magic' - 1985 Hoyt F32

Robert

Re: Overheating Yanmar - Troubleshooting

Post by Robert »

......... continuation

'Magic' made it to Norfolk, VA, I also found that I may have bad fuel during the crossing of the Albemarle Sound, that is another story though.

Well, this last weekend, after thinking about the problem and discussing the problem with colleagues in the marine business, I found that Yanmar engines, fitted with the alternate 'high-rise' exhaust elbow have a recurrent problem with the 90 degree raw water injector on the exhaust elbow shown here.
90 degree water injector
90 degree water injector
Exhaust Elbow - 90 deg Injector (Small).JPG (55.27 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
They have a tendency to become restricted as the water flow through the elbow slows and the salt and minerals come out of solution and deposit themselves in the elbow and show in the next pictures.
Water Injector - Threaded Section
Water Injector - Threaded Section
Raw Water injector 3 (Small).JPG (31.94 KiB) Viewed 12188 times
Water Injector - Hose Connection
Water Injector - Hose Connection
Raw Water injector 2 (Small).JPG (27.67 KiB) Viewed 12182 times
It looks like the restriction is causing a 70% plus loss of water flow which was worrying as I had not noticed a lack of water flow out of the exhaust. I put this down to the function of the water-lock muffler and the length of the exhaust run on the F32's with the engine being mid-mounted under the galley sink like on the Catalina 30's.

to be continued ............
Robert

Robert

Post by Robert »

Continuation ..........

Here is an end on shot of the fitting clearly showing how badly blocked it had become.
Water Injector - End On
Water Injector - End On
Raw Water Injector 1 (Small).JPG (37.79 KiB) Viewed 12180 times
I decided that just cleaning the fitting was not enough. Apparently, some Yanmar engines with this water injector require the fitting removed and cleaned frequently, sometimes more than once a year!! It is a simple fix and not difficult to address as 'Annual Maintenance' but after contemplating the issue, I decided to replace the 90 degree fitting with a straight fitting as shown here hoping for a permanent fix.
Water Injector - Straight Version
Water Injector - Straight Version
Exhaust Elbow - Straight Injector (Small).JPG (58.43 KiB) Viewed 12177 times
Incidentally, the hose connected to the fitting is from a siphon break that is mounted high up under the galley sink and you can see the input end to the siphon break on the back of the heat exchanger.

Well, I ran the engine in gear at the dock for some 20 minutes which would have normally caused the overheat alarm to sound. Then after a trip to the marina pump-out station, leaving the engine running while pumping, I took a quick trip out into Chesapeake Bay. Went out about a mile or so out of Little Creek without any alarms, so on the return trip I opened the throttles and made 3,400 RPM's on the run in. Hooray, no alarms and no exhaust smoke It seems 'Magic' may be a less over-propped than I originally thought and is no longer on my list of 'things-to-do'.

Have I achieved a permanent fix? Time will tell.

This is a very easy fix, the cost, if only cleaning the elbow is nothing and takes between 30 minutes and an hour.

Incidentally, the corrosion that is visible is predominantly on the rear of the engine and has been caused by the siphon break that spits raw water when the engine starts and stops as water flow starts and stops through the raw water circuit. A 'splash guard' is on the 'to-do' list to prevent the engine getting splashed. The engine will be 'pulled' in the spring for new mounts, de-rusting and paint.

Robert
Robert

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

That's a great article Robert,

If I might make a suggestion. I've found that when you have that much blockage in the little elbow water inlet there is often quite a bit waiting in the elbow itself. Those elbows are iron and when they rot out and fail they have the potential to dump salt water back into the engine via the exhaust valve on that number three cyl. They are a mother to get apart most of the time and there are some left hand threads involved on the adapter to be aware of if you try to take it apart. Cleaning can be accomplished in a 5 gallon bucket with one gallon of pool acid (muriatic acid) and 4 gallons water. Try not to breath the fumes! But often the cleaning process can remove so much rotten material that the elbow becomes even more of a time bomb.

If you are achieving 3400 rpm wot then you are propped right. The tack can be up to 15% off at any point in the power curve right from Yanmar and I've always felt that getting within 300-400 rpm is adequate. I have a hand held tack we can put on it to see what it's really doing if you are close by. I'm in Annapolis.

George
Last edited by THATBOATGUY on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the word "bleach" to acid for clarification. :)
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Ach! One more suggestion. Based on the amount of corrosion on your motor. There is an external oil line on that motor that's made of steel. Those can get crunchy and rust thru dumping the entire contents of the engine oil. I'd give that a careful look. In the photos it looks like it might have been replaced at some point but not painted first. I always paint them with zinc chromate (I can see our environmental health team cringing) and a good couple of top coats of engine paint.

George
Attachments
Oil line.jpg
Oil line.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 12150 times

Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks for the tips George.

In fact it is my intention to get a new exhaust setup and as you mentioned, the threaded nipple does actually have a left handed thread on one end and a right handed on the other.

As mentioned earlier, I will be pulling (removing) the engine when I replace the engine mounts as the Stbd front mount has been swollen and weakend by a fuel leak from the secondary filter and the condition of the others is questionable. At this time I will thoroughly clean and de-rust the engine and initially treat with 'Ospho' before refinishing. I do appreciate the 'heads-up' on the oil line though, that could be an expensive failure.
Robert

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

I've also been told (by more than one engine mechanic), that, rather than idling a while and then shutting down the engine from low idle, you should idle a while and then kick the RPM's of the (unloaded) engine up to around 2000-2200 rpm for at least 30 seconds and then pull the kill switch with the engine running at that speed.

Supposedly this will blow out the "loose carbon" which would otherwise "cook" onto the various parts of the exhaust system and minimize the deposit of unburned hydrocarbons on same (and pistons, I guess) as the enging cools. I've heard the latter described as "coking".

I don't know if this is sound information from an engineering standpoint or not, but it "sounds good" to me...and I had no problems with the Yanmar exhaust elbow on my prior boat after implementing this process...and none at all on the Perkins 4-108 in the past 13 years.

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

The elbow failure I was describing is corrosion due to hot salt water passing through iron. When they fail they tend to dump some water down into the number 3 cly (or number 2 on the 2gm) every time you shut the motor down. Pretty soon there are valve issues on that cly, loss of power, black smoke etc... I never heard of the rev it up just prior to shutdown but I can see that it might also have the secondary effect of blowing much of the water out of the aqualift as well.

Robert it sounds like you have a plan for your motor and I couldn't agree more with it. Be aware that the motor mounts are different front and back. They look identical but you will find that they have different casting numbers in the rubber. I think on the 3gm it's two 75's and two 100's but I can't remember for sure.

George

Robert

Post by Robert »

Spot on George

100's on the Front
75's on the Rear
Robert

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

If you get the bright idea of cleaning the whole raw water system by running muriatic acid through your engine (picked up by the raw water inlet hose from a bucket)...NOT A RECOMMENDED ACTIVITY...

Be sure and remove any pencil zincs in the engine & heat exchanger first. (replace them with the old/worn out ones that you "saved" for no particular reason). The zincs will last about as long (in the flowing-acid-bath) as they would if they were made from frozen sour cream.

Don't do this IN the marina!! The fumes can wipe out your downwind neighbors, play hell with (other peoples') wax jobs, polished stainless steel, exposed bottom paint, and lungs. Particularly if there is little-to-no wind blowing. Best go hide on a mud flat someplace where nobody can see what you're doing.

Don't just "try" to avoid the fumes...they can kill you. Muriatic is 5% Hydrocloric Acid...even a 4:1 dilution will react and fume significantly (particularly in the presence of calcium buildup).

I posted a whole long thing on this in the Yahoo group a while back. Search on "muriatic" and it will pop up somewhere.