Fuel Tank Leak- Mull 28

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
hxschiller

Fuel Tank Leak- Mull 28

Post by hxschiller »

My '87 Mull 28's fuel tank sprang a leak. Trying to clean up the leakage cannot be done without tearing up the cabin sole in the vicinity of the companionway steps. I'm going to try to clean under the cabin sole (somewhat) by using "Tide" to flush out the area into the bilge sump, and thence pump into a 5-gallon drywall pail. Need I say that it's great fun trying to break loose the fuel/vent lines from the the tank's spigots without damaging either the tank or the very expensive 1-1/2" filler hose. When I finally got the tank out of it's surrounding compartment, I found about 10 stainless steel fasteners at the inboard lower corner of the compartment that the tank resides in. I believe that these fasteners were left there during initial construction, and more importantly, were the cause of the leak in the same area of the tank due to long-term electrolysis taking place. My case may be unique, but it's possible that other Mull 28s, and perhaps 30s which have great similarities in construction, might be subject to this hazard. If desired, one could remove the plywood panel under the quarter berth, and try to look down to the base of the tank with the aid of a flashlight. Herm