Taking the engine out

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
THATBOATGUY

Re: Taking the engine out

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hi Larry,

I've done quite a few sailboat re-power jobs. I've always avoided using the boat's rig for lifting engines/generators. Even when the rig can "clearly" take the strain there has always been too much of an "oh sh**" opportunity. Ramps and a-frames are your best bet.

Another hint is that the tow insurance I've had will only pay half the towing bill if it's from dock to dock. Of course if you break down out in the middle of the bay away from your dock then the tow to the yard is an "emergency". I'd also check the range though as I think most have a 20 mile limit.

4-5 boat units is about the going rate for repower now.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

briank

Post by briank »

Hi Alain

Just thought UI'd let you know that the F39PH purchase that you advise me on in random chatter is goingh ahead OK. Agreed a good price and just got a sea trial to do maybe next week.

Prior to the survey I asked a local Perkins dealer here in the UK if parts are still available for the Perkins M50 which 'min' has, and he said no problems. So if you can't get anything you need in the US iI may be able to help. he also said that there's some equivalence between Perkons and Volvo parts - I didn't go into details.

Wow Montreal looks freezing (but pretty).

Best wishes

Brian
Brighton UK

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Alain wrote:
THATBOATGUY wrote:Can you take a picture from the companionway looking down at the motor?
Hi George,
I'll do that as soon as I find my snowshoes and a shovel...!
Alain,

Having spent the summer cruising in Canada, was this picture taken recently or this summer? :-)

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Alain

Post by Alain »

GeoffSchultz wrote:Having spent the summer cruising in Canada, was this picture taken recently or this summer? :-)
THAT picture? Mid August!
THIS is January, near Tadoussac, on the North Shore of the river Saint-Laurent :
January on the Saint-Laurent... No sailing! (note the laker (bulk carrier) in the far left corner)
January on the Saint-Laurent... No sailing! (note the laker (bulk carrier) in the far left corner)
St-Irénée January.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 5063 times
That's why we live so old here and the sailboats show so little their age. We spend half of our life in the freezer! :O)
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I don't want to take this too far off of topic, but here's part of my trip log (http://www.geoffschultz.org/Log_Page.php?id=1269) from AUGUST 22, 2008 as we're headed into Charlottetown, PEI.
Ahoy from Charlottetown, PEI!
Before we get into the story of our stay here, I'd like to have a little quiz. Don't worry, you don't have to remember what an atoll or bight is. This is about what clothes you're wearing during the middle of August. But you need to score yourself by counting how many of the object you've worn in the past few days:

* Jeans
* Underwear
* Long Underwear
* Wool Socks
* A second pair of wool socks over the first
* Sweater
* Thermal Top
* Fleece jacket
* Down Vest
* Rainproof pants
* Heavy duty raincoat
* Warm Gloves
* Glove Liners
* Wool Hat

If you scored 0, send photos! :-)
If you scored 1-2, send some heat our way!
If you scored 3-4, you need to get somewhere warmer.
If you scored 14 (and wore them at the same time), you've probably been on the BlueJacket doing the Down East Circle Route!

Yes, it's been cold and windy. Our trip from Summerside to Charlottetown, PEI was once again marked by temps in the upper 50s and winds of 30-35 kts (35-40 mph) and rain. Let me tell you, when you're standing at the wheel in those conditions, you feel the wind! The good thing was that we were running down wind with the jib up only and flying along at 7+ kts, so we got here quickly.
We were absolutely amazed to see people getting their boats ready to pull at the end of August!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Tom

Post by Tom »

Alain,

Please contact me at Tom.N.Ollie"at"gmail.com. I have an 83 F39PH and would like to talk with you about your sound insulation project, I have just finished doing my boat.

Tom

S/V: Our Freedom
Last edited by GeoffSchultz on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced "@" in e-mail with "at" to keep spammers away