yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
THATBOATGUY

Re: yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Well,

Keeping in mind that the Yanmar Manual was probably translated by someone who didn't grow up with English, what they might refer to as a "valve" is what we in America refer to as a "fuel injector". Possibly in England they are called valves.. I'm not sure. The ones I've dealt with had copper washers for seals. It's possible they have changed that. I think if they have been making them out of plastic it's a bad idea. That's a place where there is a great deal of heat and pressure and I'm not surprised they are falling apart in some cases if that's what they have gone to. If I encounter any plastic ones I'm going to go back with copper. The copper ones I have dealt with were easy enough to put back into service. If there is a well stocked Yanmar shop close by, it's a good idea to replace them. If you are anchored at Conception Island in the Bahamas then you may like to know that they can be re-used. If they are dinged in any way you can actually dress them with some fine sand paper. Sorry if I took anyone off track. If I disagree with the manual, you are probably better off following the manual. I think I'll be more circumspect about pulling them if I don't know for sure I have a replacement washer or that there is a copper one in there I can re-use.

I have a couple friends who are Yanmar dealers, I'll ask them next time we talk about what's being used there now.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

mnydvr

Re: yanmar diesel in a beneteau

Post by mnydvr »

I'm not sure we are talking about the same parts,are you refering to the copper washers on the line bolts? yes they are copper,I am talking about the injector assembly,if you disassemblbe the injector nozzle assy,there is a copper washer in there,but if you remove the WHOLE assy., that is where the washer is that I am refering to,most of the time this thing will be "stuck" to the bottom of the nozzle or valve or injector,which ever you prefer,if I can find a picture of the injector I will be able to be more accurate,but anyway.......... ;)