Wishbone boom

Shae77

Wishbone boom

Post by Shae77 »

Hi,

I have recently purchased a british 35 cat ketch which was contverted to contventional track and boom with rod kick. I am considering converting back to wishbone rigging. My queston is where can I find a wishbone boom? Is there anyone in Europe who makes them?
UK F35- Cat Ketch
S/Y India
Limhman Sweden

Castaway

Re: Wishbone boom

Post by Castaway »

I think they were originally made in the UK by Proctor Spars, now long defunct. I could get you some measurements from mine, if you wish? I understand the original Hoyt F40 booms were wooden, and making new ones by laminating suitable wood might be the easiest and cheapest route for a one-off project. Otherwise, find some engineer who can bend and weld 38mm diameter aluminium tube. The clew ends of mine are held together by a plate with two short stubs which fit into the tube ends, and then riveted. This allows the ends to be separated and sprung apart to get the boom on without lifting it over the mast (or the mast over it).

Regards,

Gerald Freshwater
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Shae77

Re: Wishbone boom

Post by Shae77 »

Thanks for your reply Gerald. I have considered making the boom in wood, as the original. Please do send the measurements of your booms and could you also send pictures of the choker set-up and end-plate?

Regards,

Shae