Dutchman reefing on a cat ketch

seadago

Dutchman reefing on a cat ketch

Post by seadago »

Hi everyone
I will need to replace my sails this season. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a Dutchman reefing system. The rig I will have is a (slight) modification of Gio Schouten's G10. I wonder if anyone has any experience of operating Dutchman reefing on a wishbone, loose footed sail. I've trawled the forum but did not find any specific info on this type of reefing, hence the new thread. I have an F28 ck Hoyt, with (at the moment, soon to change) wrap around sails.
Many thanks for your input!
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Goose13

Re: Dutchman reefing on a cat ketch

Post by Goose13 »

Have u purchased your new sails yet??? I need to get new ones as well and I'm leaning towards a G10 set up. I'd be interested in hearing about your set up first.
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

seadago

Post by seadago »

Hi Goose
Not yet. In trialing the boat with the original warp around sail setup first, but I don't like it. The purpose of having the boat is to do long passage cruising, eventually, so I'm also seriously looking to fitting a junk rig.
Cheers
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

1980raven

Post by 1980raven »

I looked at junk rigging my F28CK last winter. I found it difficult to locate the 3 or 4 blocks required to control and reef the sails aft of the booms. Please let me know how you solve that issue. I have decided to stay with the wrap around sails (not planning any long off shore passages). I sail in Narragansett Bay and the islands off the coast of Massachusetts, USA.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI