How do I Install a Jib on the Camber Spar?

akfreedom

How do I Install a Jib on the Camber Spar?

Post by akfreedom »

Good morning,

I've agreed to help a friend rig a Freedom 30 and is stuck between a rigger and a sailmaker. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has this boat and might help us work through it...?

Thanks!
Last edited by GeoffSchultz on Fri May 01, 2009 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Title Changed from "Rigging a Freedom"

GeoffSchultz

Re: How do I Install the Jib on the Camber Spar?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I'm not sure what you're asking...do you have specific issues? Also, since Freedoms don't have any standing rigging, what's the rigger doing?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

akfreedom

Post by akfreedom »

Hi Geoff,

I suspected that was a pretty vague question, but wanted to get into the list before I went much further.

The short answer is that I'm going to be looking at a Freedom 30 this afternoon that has a new jib and new spar that the owner can't seem to make talk to each other... The long story is that the jib was built (and re-built) by a sailmaker that was reputed to be 'the' sailmaker for Freedoms. After two attempts, the owner was told that the problem was in the spar that she was trying to attach the new sail to... So--she bought a new one. Now the sail looks like it might fit, but she can't figure out how to attach the new spar.

I'll be getting pictures later today, but since this is a new rig to me I thought I would go to the pros!

thanks for your reply.

Bill

GeoffSchultz

Re: How do I install the Jib on the Camber Spar?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Before I go too far, I'll assume that you're talking about the camber spar which goes into the jib...Correct?

That is indeed a challenge. I have a 40/40 and disconnect the boom vang tackle system from the boom vang and attach a line from there to the clew of the jib. That gives me a pretty straight pull backwards. First slide the jib over the camber spar and attach the tack. Then position the camber spar so that it is vertical, with the curved side up. I then start tightening the boom vang, which pulls the jib clew backwards towards the horns on the camber spar, and then wrestle it onto the horns. It's not pretty, but it works.
20070903_130820.jpg
20070903_130820.jpg (78.57 KiB) Viewed 12393 times
However, I'd be glad to know/see how others do this.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

akfreedom

Re: How do Install the Jib on the Camber Spar?

Post by akfreedom »

Hi Geoff,

I tried to upload a picture of our challenge. Teka spoke to the sailmaker today, and the advice was "cut the new camber spar" to fit. The concern with that advice is that it appears that cutting the spar will take us back to the same basic thing we had before we ordered the new one... I'm new to your list, so if I have uploaded the picture incorrectly, let me know and I"ll try again.

Thanks again!

Bill
Attachments
Picture 054.jpg
Picture 054.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 12383 times

akfreedom

Post by akfreedom »

This may be a better picture.

If need be, I guess we cut the camber spar to fit the sail, and rig from there.

Whatever happened to bowlines and clews? :D

Thanks again!
Attachments
Picture 055_2.jpg
Picture 055_2.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 12382 times

GeoffSchultz

Re: How do I Install a Jib on the Camber Spar?

Post by GeoffSchultz »

What's the difference in the length between the jib and the camber spar? (i.e. When you stretch the sail like you're trying to get on the camber spar, how far away are the grommets from the horns?) What length does the sail maker suggest? What are the dimensions of the sail and camber spar?

--Geoff

P.S. I changed the title of this post from "Rigging a Freedom" to "How do I Install a Jib on the Camber Spar" to make it easier for future people to find this post with the search function.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

On this topic, is there a secret to getting the horns pulled back tight enough? And, what is "tight enough"?

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Come on folks, how do the rest of you get your jibs on the camber spar?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

I attach the clew first. Then I run a line through one of the grommets and then take both ends around the horn. Then I pull like the dickens. The first one goes on easily. The second is a work out.
It sounds like you are new to a Freedom 30. Also know that when you hoist the sail, you need to take it past a straight luff and let the spar push into the forestay. This will give you the proper luff tension and sail shape.
Bill, where are you located? There might be someone on the list near you if we knew.

Stephen Lee
Marblehead, MA
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME