Mizzen sheet on F39PHS (also mast climbing)

THATBOATGUY

Re: Mizzen sheet on F39PHS (also mast climbing)

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Any update on the giant water balloon elevator?

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

Mike Holibar

Re: Mizzen sheet on F39PHS (also mast climbing)

Post by Mike Holibar »

Hi George,

Had some trials last Saturday but forgot the jolly camera. I went about 2/3 of the way up the main mast and the system seemed to work OK except for the block at the mast head. In order to rise the bag had to be quite a bit heavier than me and to descend was very difficult without releasing some water. My feeling is this extra friction is caused by a dodgy block, (I had noticed previously that it feels a but rough when pulling and unloaded halyard bak and forth) so I plan to replace the block.

I was unable to get the grigori to work on the 12mm halyard but found the ascender was fine. For future climbs I would use a second ascender on a seperate halyard as a safety. Control of the bag was not difficult althought the catenary when full brought the bag too close to the radome so an assistant was needed to pull it clear. I might try using a halyard from the other mast to keep the bag clear next time.

Over all the process felt OK and well controlled, and that is from someone who is not keen on heights. The other thing was water pressure. The local mains handled it easily and I would think an impellor pump would be capable of filling the bag if you were away from a mains supply.

We escaped from the estuary on Sunday so now sailing is the order of the day, and the bag will have to wait.

As we tested the bag our progress was closely monitored by the commodore and other flag officers sitting in the club bar about 30 yards away. He was so impressed he has hired the bag for the use of his surveyor as they carry our an inspection of the rig. 10 hires like that and the bag will be paid for!

Best wishes,
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand