Wishbone or Boom Rig

maltsters

Wishbone or Boom Rig

Post by maltsters »

I'm looking to buy a Freedom 33/35. However, I've seen both wishbone and boom rigs available and would appreciate guidance on the pros and cons of the two rigs, ie. sailing efficiency, maintenance costs, sail replacement costs.

I've viewed a 1982 T&P built 33 with conventional booms which is being marketed in the United Kingdom as a '35'. Are they interchangeable? Were the 33s and 35s one and the same? I understand they shared the same waterline length. Any information on the variants would be appreciated.

I apologise if this topic has already been discussed but I'm new to the forum!

Michel

Re: Wishbone or Boom Rig

Post by Michel »

Hello Maltsters,

Welcome to our forum. First your question about the difference between the F33 and the UK F35. They are different; the F35 is basically the F33mkI of which Garry Hoyt sold the rights to the UK. In the US he proceeded wit the F33 mkII, with the longer coachroof in stead of the bulge in the cockpit and the companionway to starboard. The hulls are the same and available in three layouts: centre board, long keel and the rare fin keel. Interior layouts also differ; have a look at the photos on Yachtworld to see this.

Now about booms or wishbones. It's mostly a matter of taste and where you bumped into; many people apparently weren't fond of wishbones and converted to straight booms. Sail shape is mostly the same, only you need an end plate cut into the foot of the sail if you have wishbones (just like with other loose footed sails) because there is no boom to function as an end plate. Reefing points are the same, you can have both single- and two line reefing on both wishbone and boomed sails.

Comparing wishbones and booms, I first have to say I'm a bit biased towards the wishbones because I'm into my second Freedom with wishbones. But I have sailed a few times with boomed Freedoms. Wishbones are technically simpler and may look a bit do-it-yourself-ish. No vang or gooseneck, just a few blocks and lines. With booms, you have vangs and goosenecks with all their associated costs and problems. Problems with broken booms, vangs and goosenecks are regularly reported on the two Freedom forums. Vang problems are caused by the low position of the boom over the deck, so the vang angle is far from perfect. Gooseneck and boom breakages are similar to those on other types of boats. Wishbone problems are rare and mostly involve breaking lines or blocks.

Why does the wishbone give less problems? I think it has to do with the forces onto the mast. Since the wishbone points upwards, the forces are directed upwards into the mast. With a boom the force is directed perpendicular onto the mast. This produces much more stress on the mast than the wishbone produces.

Hope this helps a bit, and if I have been too biased towards the wishbone, somebody else please correct me.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Bferri

Post by Bferri »

Can the booms be eased passed perpendicular ... i.e. forward of the masts ... like the wishbones (or so I've read)

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

Some...but not much. You don't want to overstress the gooseneck joint.

Sure comes in handy for stopping the boat in light air when you head up into the wind and still have a little "way" on...like when you get to that perfect spot to drop anchor and don't want to overrun it. You can hold the boom out and "sail backwards" to set the anchor as well.

When I was over in the Rockport marina a few years back, I used to regularly practice sailing in through the approach channel, around the back of the island, and right into the slip (nose first into prevailing wind), just so I'd know I could do it if it came down to "having to do it". Maybe it was "showing off" a little, but I got a kick out of it anyway. I couldn't run it all the way into the slip if there was a boat in the next slip over, since the boom didn't have enough room to swing out perpendicular, so I usually just had to coast up to the end of the finger pier...and I couldn't do it singlehandedly.

If that slip was empty, I could hoist the main in the slip (in light air) and sail out backwards without ever turning on the engine...but there was nothing but open water behind me for a good ways. Things are a little more crowded in the Corpus Christi marina...with 100' alleyways, it's a tight turn for a 40' boat under power, nevermind under sail.