Rigging Davis Radar Reflecter

Ereiss

Rigging Davis Radar Reflecter

Post by Ereiss »

I was reading on Sailnet a recommendation that when rigging the halyard for the radar reflecter that one use two blocks on the spreader (remember those?) so that the returning portion of the halyard won't chafe against the radar reflecter. Since we are "sans spreader" I was wondering what folks have done to address this issue? My reflecter is safely under the port settee but I'm thinking that it should be up on a regular basis rather than only when foggy. Feels sort of like the "if you are thinking about reefing you probably should have already".

Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

Michel

Re: Rigging Davis Radar Reflecter

Post by Michel »

Ed,

You may not be aware of this, but a carbon fiber mast does not give a radar echo at all. So even in good weather, you are not visible to radar until the hull is hit by the ship's radar beam. You might consider mounting your radar reflector permanently to the mast, as many of us have. The 2' Davis reflector comes out of tests quite good, the smaller one is, well, smallish. On this board there are reports of radar reflector tests. The best is the Trilens or or comparable Luneburg lens reflectors.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

hopalong

Post by hopalong »

Ed - on Hopalong the Davis reflector is on a tool halyward off the mizzen mast(1/4" stayset. ) It sits just below level of the radome at about 16' off deck.
To address the abrasion issue we run 3 lifeline protector covers up the other side of the line to just above the reflector. the bottom end of the line is tied just in front of the gate to the toe rail. Not pretty but it works. We've been told our radar echo is good.
We keep looking for plans for a just under radome mount for the reflector- something that will not interfere with the deck light we have there at present.
Sometimes I miss spreaders. Sally

wcwcwc

Post by wcwcwc »

On my F-36 my radar is on a post at the stern about 8' off the deck. I mounted the davis reflector under the radar by drilling into the radar mount at 45 degree angle and using a stainless steel threaded rod through the middle of the reflector. This keeps the reflector at the necessary "catch rain" position and requires nothing else. Should work on your mast mounted unit as well without any uglyness.

The return echo is reasonable but not as good as yours must be at twice the altitude.

Bill Cormack
Sailing Hard Earned out of New Bedford YC, Padanaram, MA
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Hi Ed,
Try running the return line right down thru the middle of the reflector. That worked for me. I also took a piece of aluminum bar, bought at the hardware store and mounted it on the plate on the top of the mast. I just drilled one hole, used a stainless steel bolt and plastic nut to hold it in place. i put small pad eyes in each end and ran flag halyard thru them. One served as the halyard for the radar reflector and the other as a burgee halyard. A little weird but it worked!
Stephen
F35 Salaciia
out of Marblehead
(the boat is in Edgartown without me!)
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Great ideas Stephen, thank you. We will be in the Vineyard this week, should we check on your boat or at least say hello to it for you?

regards,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA