Freedom 35 mast rings

oryx

Freedom 35 mast rings

Post by oryx »

Does anyone know if the alloy mast rings for the Freedom 35 wishbone ketch are obtainable in the UK? Oryx

Michel

Re: Freedom 35 mast rings

Post by Michel »

They must have been in the past. If you contact Fairways Marine in Penryn or Western Yachts/Penpol boatyard in Truro (both Cornwall) they might have old stock. Brian Butler (via Ancasta QAB, Plymouth) might also know a source. Otherwise you'll have to have your collars fabricated.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

oryx

Post by oryx »

Thanks for that. Bryan Butler retired 2 years ago. I will see whether the yards you mention are still in business. I expect fabrication is the only option.

Michel

Post by Michel »

I approached Penpol boatyard a few weeks ago to ask if they still had Freedom documentation on file but they didn't react on my email. I know Brian Butler retired, but perhaps you can get into contact with him through Ancasta. He's the British walking Freedom encyclopaedia.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

The 'Full Manual for the UK Freedom 35' has a drawing of the mast collar arrangements, which also quotes the Freedom part numbers (probably in America) for these items.
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Peter

Post by Peter »

Maybe you can try some stainless collars or flanges that are made in lots of sizes as fittings for stainless tubes. I found them over here in Germany with an inner diameter of 237mm that will fit the F33/35s masts. They lack the plates with the holes for fitting the foot blocks but you can use ring nuts instead for screwing the collars to the deck. Don't know if they are made in aluminum as well.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Peter

briank

Post by briank »

When I bought my F39 PHS from Ancasta in Plymouth UK, their broker Andrew (can't remember his family name) said he had all the Freedom drawings on file. However when I asked him for a copy of the F39 drawings for myself and the F40 for Michel, he couldn't track them down. You might like to try asking for the F35 ones though.
F39 (1988) PHS 'Paradox'
Brighton Marina, UK

Peter

Post by Peter »

Michel wrote:I approached Penpol boatyard a few weeks ago to ask if they still had Freedom documentation on file but they didn't react on my email. I know Brian Butler retired, but perhaps you can get into contact with him through Ancasta. He's the British walking Freedom encyclopaedia.
By the way,

if anyone wants to get in contact with Brian Butler, he now seems to be working with Network Yacht Brokers (Dartmouth) Ltd.

http://offices.networkyachtbrokers.co.u ... dartmouth/

At least he answered my questions concerning a boat currently for sale there.

Peter