Batten hardware issue

AlanK

Batten hardware issue

Post by AlanK »

On my F-33 I have sailman series 35 hardware at the luff. I noticed recently when I was adjusting the batten tension that the threading on the plastic hardware has been damaged a bit by the stainless screws that attach to the slides.
Basically there is a lot of play/movement if I hold the screw I can wiggle the plastic batten fitting that it screws into.
Most of the batten end hardware I've seen is plastic. I don't know if any brands have metal inserts for the threading.
I'm wondering if any one else has had this problem. At first I thought it was due to some rough weather we sailed through but its the same on the mizzen and the mizzen was down through most of the storm (we were mostly downwind).
I think it may be caused by having the freestanding rig and letting the sails out to 90 degrees or beyond and maybe this cause excessive side force on the fitting.
I just changed over to tides marine strong track and their slides allow a little more rotation past 90 then my previous ones. This may help or hurt I don't know.
Anyone ever seen this or have any thoughts?
Thanks

Michel

Re: Batten hardware issue

Post by Michel »

Alan,

How far did you screw in the threads into the batten box? The screw should have some play in the batten box for when stowing the sail. If there's no play for the thread, it's torn out of the batten box when the box turns and tightens onto the screw. Perhaps this happened with your sails. As long as the intermediate slide hold the sail to the mast, you'll probably be fine. With stress on probably. Otherwise, you need new batten boxes.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

My batten pockets were not screwed tight so they can twist freely to allow the sail to flake so I know that's not the problem. Is your hardware experiencing the same issue? I figure if this continues at some point the screws will just be completely loose (of course there are intermediate slides). Maybe this type of wear is normal from the compression and of the batten and then whatever side to side flogging goes on occassionally. I'm just surprised these wore out like this.

Michel

Post by Michel »

No, the threads in my batten boxes are all still there and I know my mainmast plus track and slides has been replaced at least five years ago. The mizzen I don't know.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.