Circumference of F30 Mast at Base

Mark Thompson

Circumference of F30 Mast at Base

Post by Mark Thompson »

I Rather strange question...I am away from the boat and considering the purchase of a SAILING SPECIALTIES, INC. Universal Mast Boot, from West Marine. Rather than running back and forth(about 30 miles) I was hoping that someone may have that measurment of the F30 (Mull) mast at the base. I have used RubbaWeld for a long time, but would like something more permanent. The large Mast Boot will fit masts from 30"-44". Seems like it may do the trick. It looks good and looks like it would last. Has anyone had any expirence with this product?
Mark
Eleuthera, F30-78
Grosse Pointe Park, MI

peterjulia
Location: Peter McLean • F30 • #103 • Shooting Star • West Vancouver, BC • CANADA

Re: Circumference of F30 Mast at Base

Post by peterjulia »

We just put a universal mast boot on our Mull '89 Freedom 30. Our boot was distributed by Western Marine (not West Marine) in Canada. The manufacturer is a company called SSI and the boot fits masts 17 1/2" to 31". There were about 7 or 8 options of where you could cut the boot to fit the mast's circumference. The best fit was 3 down from the largest option. This tells me that you may be overshooting the size of your mast by buying the large size. If you can hang on, wait until this weekend and I can measure our mast at the deck line for you. You can email me at peter_mcl@shaw.ca so that I can respond directly if you like.

Our mast was out when we installed it and, naturally, we slipped it over the mast from the bottom before re-stepping it.

Torrential rain here at the moment. Some water coming in the mast. At least it doesn't have to be shoveled as we say here in Vancouver!