F25 Rigging Replacement

R. Bush

F25 Rigging Replacement

Post by R. Bush »

Does anyone out there have a running rigging guide for an F25?

There is a partial list in the F25Manual.pdf posted on this site, but it doesn't have nearly everything listed.

What I need to get started is the size and length for the spinnaker halyard / downhaul.

Thanks.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

unfetteredalexandria

Re: F25 Rigging Replacement

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

When the prior owner of my boat bought it in the mid-1990's, he got Freedom to mail him whatever documentation they had on file. Included in this package, which he gave to me, was a poor-quality photocopy of a dot-matrix printout that accompanied the "standard" rigging guide, which you found in the online PDF file. It is dated April 19, 1984. The following line items may help you out:

0120 M 25281 R/R-HALYARD, OPT, SPIN, F25 1 EA
25024 ROPE, DACRON BRAID, 5/16"-BLUE 72 FT
5021 SHACKLE, SNAP, NF120008, NICRO 1 EA
5014 ROPE, DACRON, BRAID, 1/4"-WHITE 45 FT

I have not measured the lines on my boat, which the previous owner replaced shortly before selling it, but I think it is a pretty good bet that the 72-foot 5/16" line is the halyard, the 45-foot 1/4" line is the retriever.

Note that my boat (round-mast) has the fractional rig spinnaker, so you may need different lengths if that is not what you have. Good luck!
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

Thanks for the reply.

Your parts list makes sense. My rigging diagram describes the spinnaker halyard and retrieval line as being one continuous piece, but why would you need a halyard strength piece of line to haul a chunk of lightweight nylon back into a tube? Also a continuous piece of line would seem to be a pain to keep out of the way when sailing; whether or not it was in use. It seems to me you would want the lightest possible piece of line hanging from the centre of your spinnaker on those light air days.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

unfetteredalexandria

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

I should have mentioned that I do not currently have a separate retrieval line onboard, but rather loop the chute halyard back up as you describe and the manual recommends. I have definitely thought about replacing this with, or maybe splicing in, a separate lighter weight retriever line on really light air days. I have not found that having one continuous line creates more hassle in the cockpit than separate halyard and retrievers; more like the contrary, in fact.
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake