wish bone to boom converstion

chandler

wish bone to boom converstion

Post by chandler »

I'm looking at a freedom 33 that has been converted from wishbone to boom. Anything in particular to look for? I will be having a survey done but I don't know how savvy most surveyors are in regards to carbon fibre spars
Thanks
Chandler

Michel

Re: wish bone to boom converstion

Post by Michel »

The main stress areas on conventional boomed catketches are the gooseneck and the boom vang attachment points. It makes a huge difference by whom the conversion has been made because we see different solutions here. Important is that the masts have been beefed up around these areas and that there is no play in the hardware/mast connection.

Further points to look at: these boats are balsa cored top to bottom, so have the boat tapped to find delaminated areas. Moisture readings could assist, but these are many possibilities for false readings due to adverse weather or climatic conditions. What I've seen and heard, most false readings show more moist in the laminate than there really is in stead of less moist. So that might scare you away from the boat unnecessarily.

Good luck!
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

chandler

Post by chandler »

Thanks for the response,
The best answer I can get from the broker is that all the parts for the conversion came from TPI for what that's worth.

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Chandler,
Do you know how the conversion was done? The were two ways that I know of:
1- beefed up carbon fibre lap around the mast with epoxied-in metal parts to gooseneck and vang.
2- two part metal clamp around the mast with welded attachment points. This would probably be made by Garhauer.

Both are good factory supported conversions.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

I have a 1982 Freedom 33 CK with the regular boom conversion done at the factory and they used the garhauer wellded two piece stainless mast collar/clamp along with the rigid vang and this setup has worked perfectly with no problems ever. Rick
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

chandler

Post by chandler »

Thanks Michel and Rick,
The boat does not have a stainless collar around the masts so I have to hope she has the other option. I've only seen the boat once last summer, will be taking a much more thorough look as soon as it warms up a bit. Just love the rig and the lines.
Michel
The sheer of the 44 is beautiful wish I could afford the dockage. Any pics of the interior?
Rick
What do you think of the 33?
Chandler

Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi Chandler,

Have a look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabama_queen to see the interior of an F44. You have to browse back a bit to where I installed the new headliner.

The F33 has a very nice long coachroof and hence lots of interior space. Remember however that Freedoms have classic hulls and a narrowish beam and transom. Without the two queensize beds under the cockpit. The woodwork inside the Freedoms is classic and very well made with lots or rounded corners and other details like that.

chandler

Post by chandler »

Hi Michel,
Wow you've done a ton of work! Looks great!
What kind of shape was she in when you purchased her?
My first improvement should we buy Bob Cat will be to replace the crappy plastic port lights with bronze ones from Newfound boat works. 2nd would be to replace the plastic hatches with wood hatches that I would fabricate.
The headliner seems to be falling down, a nice molded ply head liner would be nice if there is a way to fasten it.
I'm a wood boat guy but can't afford to build my design in the near future so looking at grp for now and the Freedom line is the most conventional design I can find,excluding grp with long overhangs which I'm not a fan of.
If things go well hope to be able to post some pics next year.
Chandler

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

I have to say after loking at Michels photos I'm impressed with the work done and the quality of same by Michel on Alabama Queen. He needs to be cannonized or committed, maybe both! Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

chandler

Post by chandler »

Hi numbknots,
you are the third person I have seen using that avatar. One on boat design forum, one on delftship forum. Are you any of those or is that just a popular avatar?
Chandler