Freedom Mast Wedge Replacement

R. Bush

Freedom Mast Wedge Replacement

Post by R. Bush »

The mast wedge on my F25 is pretty beaten and abused. It is also about 3" short of extending completely around the mast, so I figure a new one is in order.

Does anyone know of a supplier or manufacturer who can supply new mast wedges for Freedoms?
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

R. Bush

Re: Freedom Mast Wedge Replacement

Post by R. Bush »

What about Spartite? Has anyone had success using this on Freedoms, or is it designed for use on stayed masts?

I know there has been discussions along these lines on various threads in the past, but has anyone actually tried Spartite? If so, do you feel comfortable with the result?
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

hxschiller

Post by hxschiller »

I recall considerable discussion of Spartite, and othe rubber pou-in-place products on this site. Do a search, and you'll find it.

numbknots

Post by numbknots »

R. Bush,

Spartite inmy opinion is an expensive product and if not put in properly you will not get your mast down if needed. Beleive me I have 2 masts that are glued in place now. The product is wayover priced and there are similar products on market if you are determined to go this direction that are just as good but more reasonable. Do your homework and check old posts. (especially Michaels) What ever you decide use all the release agent you can get your hands on cause once that stuff sets its very hard. Good luck Numbknots
... currently experiencing performance anxiety..,

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I agree with numbknots as I've had to cut out one of my Spartite jobs. However, I can now pull the mast without any issues with my current Spartite job.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

briank1946

Post by briank1946 »

Hi Geoff

Looking at my masts I think they're 'glued in'. How did you cut through all that Spartite?

Brian Kerslake
F39 PHS 'Paradox'
Portland Marina
Portland UK

R. Bush

Post by R. Bush »

I'm not a particularly "handy" guy. I'm sure there are other products out there that are better for less money, but I'm willing to pay some extra for a product that comes with idiot resistant instructions and all the bits-and-pieces you need to do the job rite.

The next question is: How do you get an unstayed mast to sit upright in a hole while the resin dries? In most boats I can see that the rigging should hold the mast where you want it on a colm day, but a Freedom isn't most boats.
F25 "Small Axe"
Okanagan Lake, BC

Michel

Post by Michel »

R. Bush wrote:I'm not a particularly "handy" guy. I'm sure there are other products out there that are better for less money, but I'm willing to pay some extra for a product that comes with idiot resistant instructions and all the bits-and-pieces you need to do the job rite.

The next question is: How do you get an unstayed mast to sit upright in a hole while the resin dries? In most boats I can see that the rigging should hold the mast where you want it on a colm day, but a Freedom isn't most boats.
Hi,

Search this site for my posts about PU-rubber. Also check my photos on http://www.flickr.com/photos/alabama_qu ... 118441897/ to see how I've cast mast wedges, if you like.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

briank1946 wrote:Looking at my masts I think they're 'glued in'. How did you cut through all that Spartite?
I drilled holes through the material and then used a hack saw blade to makes cuts between the holes. The next time I carefully coated the stainless deck ring so that it wouldn't bond to it.

I had my mast re-painted and and when they did that they cut the Spartite off of the mast. While I was upset when I first saw it, I've now found that it actually makes life much easier as I can pound the Spartite out from below and the mast just pops out. Likewise I drop the mast back in and then reinstall the Spartite ring by tapping it in place with a rubber mallet and then siliconing the joints. The key thing is to carefully mark the orientation of the wring relative to the mast.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

If you want to replace the original wedge, you may want to contact warren River Boat Works. They stock a number of Freedom parts. As recently as 18 months ago, they told me they could get me a replacement polyurethane wedge. They did say I would have to trim and shape it myself - sounds like it comes in a rectangular cross section. Personally, I think I'd go with the spartite - with precautions noted above.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH