Reefing Blocks in Boom

Camino

Re: Reefing Blocks in Boom

Post by Camino »

Lee- there may be other methods but I suggest you carefully drill out the rivets, then carefully drill and tap with 10-24 (recommend using a combo drill-tap bit as it makes a one shot procedure), remove the end cap with reefing lines and outhaul attached. Once the cap is off you can pull the blocks out to inspect them, untwist, run new lines using messenger lines to the blocks, etc.

lee

Post by lee »

Thanks Camino, I was thinking along those lines. Is there any reason to remove both caps or will it all come out removing the aft end?

Camino

Post by Camino »

There are other threads on this site about those butterfly or shuttle blocks This thread here http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic. ... cks#p48904 shows a diagram. With the end cap off, you can pull the shuttle blocks right out. You may need to wrangle a bit with the forward lines entering the boom from the mast to allow enough slack to pull out.

TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Hey folks I have the shuttle reefing blocks and they work well. But they clang around inside the boom a lot. It is really annoying. Do you folks have this problem or know of a solution for it?
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA