Reefing Blocks in Boom

Ereiss

Re: Reefing Blocks in Boom

Post by Ereiss »

GeoffSchultz wrote:Ed, what line lengths did you use?

-- Geoff

Geoff

The first reef was 80 feet and second 100. Initially I had planned on 80for the second and 65 for the first but I had neglected to realize that where the reefing line exits the front of the boom it needs to go DOWN to a block on the deck before it goes up to the reef hook on the luff and then again down to a block and back to the cockpit. That up and down was needed to get the force going in the right direction on the blocks in the front of the boom. Hope this makes sense.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

We broke our blocks for our internal reefing lines in our first trip to the Channel Islands, circa 1991. Removed the lines. Never reefed again. If I have to reef, I'll just as soon drop the main. She'll go to weather, somewhat, under jib alone in 30+ knots.

jlodolce

Post by jlodolce »

I do one reef at about 18kt winds, two at about 22-23kt, and drop the main at about 25. Anything else is just uncomfortable. My reefing system works very well, is very easy to operate.
Jim Lo Dolce
Lo Dolce Vita VII
Freedom 40/40 #16 1995
Sackets Harbor, NY (Lake Ontario)

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Reviving an old conversation here as I've been doing some reading as I'm planning to get my reefing lines setup correctly on my F32. This thread, in particular Ed's commentary, appears to best reflect my setup (no blocks in boom).

Looking to confirm routing of lines and hoping to take advantage of experience of others as I plan this out.

Here's how I currently plan to run the reefing lines:

Line runs from cockpit to block at base of mast and up to reefing block on sail
from block on sail line runs down to second block (or second shieve in a double block?) at base of mast then back up to boom end shieve
from boom end shieve, line runs through boom to block at aft end and up through reefing loop in sail then tie around boom.

My boom has 3 shieves at each end, I am presuming 2 for the 1st and 2nd reefing lines and one for outhaul.

I'm unsure if this is too many up/down runs, or if it'll even itself out as I reef with this setup, but seems the only way I can run a single line without blocks in the boom.

Thoughts?
1984 Freedom 32 #28
Warwick Cove, Greenwich Bay, RI

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Sounds right to me, a lot of up and down at the mast, but works so smoothly compared to all the issues I had with the butterfly in the boom.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

Ereiss wrote:Sounds right to me, a lot of up and down at the mast, but works so smoothly compared to all the issues I had with the butterfly in the boom.
Thanks Ed! Just need to determine my lengths then, I'll start with yours as guidance and downsize for 32.
1984 Freedom 32 #28

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

I been following this reefing thread and though I have an F33, the reefing system is very similar except for one detail which I am confused why this differnce exists betwen the two systems. First , I have to say I also do not have internal butterfly blocks in my boom. Starting from the leech the line is tied around boom goes up to reef cringle in leach then down to sheave in boom end , through boom then under sheave in boom end at gooseneck then up to a reef-block attached to a reef hook in luff cringle then down to turning block at mast base then aft to line clutch at cockpit. This route saves one extra round trip up and down at mast. I find it interesting that though both systems are so similar this difference should exist. BTW, I also have the three sheaves in each end of boom , the center for outhaul and the outer two for first, second and flatening reef.
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

jlodolce

Post by jlodolce »

I have a 40/40, sister ship to Geoff's, and use in boom blocks . I use two reef lines. The sail and boom are set up to add a 3rd reef point, but if the wind is that strong, I find it best to just drop the main altogether. I am not sure how you can equalize the tension on the clew and tack without the in boom blocks. My system works very well, as long as I keep the blocks lubricated and use good reefing lines. A few years ago I was having some problems with the lines not releasing easily as I raised the main until I installed new reef lines. The older lines were originals from 1995, and seemed to create too much friction on the blocks, and one of the blocks broke and I had it welded back together. Once I replaced the old lines with new ones, it worked like a charm. Sail goes up smoothly without having to fiddle much with the reef lines, and pulling them in as I incrementally drop the main is pretty easy.
Jim Lo Dolce
Lo Dolce Vita VII
Freedom 40/40 #16 1995
Sackets Harbor, NY (Lake Ontario)

tnltracy

Post by tnltracy »

midnightsailor wrote:I been following this reefing thread and though I have an F33...through boom then under sheave in boom end at gooseneck then up to a reef-block attached to a reef hook in luff cringle then down to turning block at mast base then aft to line clutch at cockpit...
So this was an alternative approach I was considering, as it actually appears that there's more room for the line to exit under the sheave coming out of the fore end of the boom. Any issues with it binding, or things falling out of place when the sail is raised/ lowered without reefing? I wonder if there's any wear on the line as it'll lay on the bottom of the boom exit when not under tension against the block on the sail?
1984 Freedom 32 #28

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

There are blocks in the boom for the outhaul but not for the reef lines. Just another datapoint here but my reef line is different, it doesn't go from the sail back down to the deck and then back up to the boom. My line goes from the cockpit to the base of the mast, up from the base of the mast, and then it does sort of an S turn at the mast end of the boom between two fixed (non-rotating) posts. There's sort of a flat vertical surface build into the forward end of the boom. There are two posts with a plate over them on that flat surface. The line goes between the posts, forward to aft, under the plate. After that S turn it goes up through the block on the sail and then back down to the sheeve at the mast end of the boom. From there it through the boom, through the sheeves at the aft end of the boom, up through the cringle in the sail and back down to the boom to be tied off.

When you pull the reefing line it will pull the block on the luff of the sail until it ends up in line with the two fixed posts and the line going down the inside of the boom. That happens first, the luff of the mainsail has now been pulled down to the boom, and then the reefing line will begin to pull the leech of the mainsail down to the boom.

Rick
Tallahassee