F21 Traveler Rail.. broken bolts

Rick@RISE

F21 Traveler Rail.. broken bolts

Post by Rick@RISE »

Guess I'm putting on a bit of stress on the traveler rail. The mounting bolts that go through the rail into the cabin have started to break.
Anyone know off the top of their noggin.. size/length etc?

Freed 21..

Just replaced the shackle on the traveler as it too decided to break.

Oceansail0

Re: F21 Traveler Rail.. broken bolts

Post by Oceansail0 »

I have had to replace over half of mine also. The Washer/Nut that mounts from in the cabin are what fails. The bold itself is usually OK. I took one of my bolts to West Marine and found a replacemt Washer/Nut in their supply. They are expensive due to being stainless but replacement was easy. I guess if the Bolt fails West Marine should have a replacement for that also.

Where are you sailing?

I am in NJ on the Barnegat Bay. The Tardis was a Hurican Sandy victom that I got for 100 US dollors and repaired for an additional 100 dollars. She is a sweet ride and I have spent many an Hour on the Bay.

V/R
Dave
Oceansail0

Rick@RISE

Post by Rick@RISE »

I'm sailing at Lake Grapevine, TX. It's August and we're only going to be in the 80's today, which I haven't seen for years.

This year is the year of fixes I suppose. I'll head over to West Marine this afternoon with the bolt and see what I can get, thanks!!!

This year also the main halyard seems to be binding when I raise sail. Track way is clear, and the sail comes down easy enough, only binding when I'm raising. SHeesh..

Oceansail0

Post by Oceansail0 »

Another common problem. Your pully at the top of the mast is worn really bad or broken in half. Replacement is easy with the mast down and the parts can also be found at the marine store.

These old girls require constant attention but it is worth it.

Good luck.
Oceansail0

Rick@RISE

Post by Rick@RISE »

Pulled one of the bolts today after going out. It appears to be broken, at least that's what I think. Has a slight bend and only about 4 threads. Unless it's supposed to have so few. I'll start digging for a replacement. There is a 2nd one that has a small gap and also drips into the cabin.

The pully.. we have a tower at the marine I'm at. Can it be hot swapped or does it have to have the mast down? Mast down I can put one of those A-frames together and get some help pulling it down.

Oceansail0

Post by Oceansail0 »

go to the thread "http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic. ... in+halyard" or just search "Main Halyard". this guy list the Harken block that is used in the mast. You might be able to reach out to him for details on the level of difficulty.
Oceansail0

Rick@RISE

Post by Rick@RISE »

Traveler all repaired, several bolts replaced and she's snug again.

Spent most of the summer .. unfortunately not sailing. We had nearly a month of rain in March and Lake Grapevine rose just over 60 feet.
Access to the marina was closed for a bit. Did make it out and give her a good cleaning.

anyway.. all fixed.. except hoisting the main.

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hi all,

I want to pick up this thread and see if you guys or others can offer some advice about repairing the traveler on my freedom 21. The traveler is starting to lift up on one end. From inside the cabin there are a number of round or mushroom headed screws, with big washers, going up into the traveler (i assume); the heads (and washer) of many of these screws have broken off. Then, there is a set of flat head counter sunk screws going from the top of the traveler into the deck. These flatheads are the ones that are starting to come out on one end (and of course the traveler car gets stuck on them). I dont know if these counter sunk screws (from top of traveler into deck) are factory original or added on later, perhaps to address the fact that the screws going from inside the cabin have broken.

Anyway, my thought was to
1) take out the counter sunk screws (the ones put in from top of traveler),
2) find an appropriate length and diameter drill bit and drill from the traveler straight through into the cabin. My hope is to leave the traveler in place and use it as a guide for my drill.
3) Then get new flat head counter sunk screws that are long enough to go through the traveler and into the cabin;
4) then attach washers and bolts from inside the cabin to lock everything down.
5) Also, stick cocking in the holes to prevent water from getting in.

Given that many of you have more experience than I do, does this plan sounds logical or foolish? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Jesse

hkowalczyk

Post by hkowalczyk »

Jesse,

You shouldn't have to drill anything. This is a pretty common issue. See the following link. Just replace the bolts and barrel nuts. Put some caulk around the top holes and bolt it down. Depending on how much time you want to spend on the repair, you can take the entire rail off and recaulk it all. While you are at it you can also check all the other barrel nuts (like on the winches) since this failure will happen to all of them eventually.

http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12123

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hi hkowalczyk

Thanks for your reply. I have a question still. From inside the cabin, the screw heads have snapped off and the shaft of the screw is flush with the cabin top, so how do I get them out?

Best wishes
Jesse