Square top mainsail for F35

yarrow

Re: Square top mainsail for F35

Post by yarrow »

I just ordered my new sq top main from Doyle 2 weeks ago, it will be a laminate and I will keep you all posted as I get it and sail next spring.
82' F25 winged spar, inboard diesel
95' B3 I-14
providence RI

mercifulreleases

My new square top mainsail

Post by mercifulreleases »

Hey All,

I just wanted to close this thread by mentioning that my new mainsail (together with Tides Track and a Doyle Cradle Cover) arrived a few weeks ago, and I took them off on their maiden voyage this weekend. They seem like very nice sails: in winds varying from 9kn to 20kn I was going consistently 4.5-6kn upwind, and 5-8kn on other points of sail.

NB: I don't want to get in fights with anyone, but I was also struck by the fact that Doyle was much more responsive and easier to deal with than the standard Freedom sailmaker from whom I bought my jib. The jib was shipped in fire-and-forget mode, whereas the main was set up for me the first time and I've gotten a few iterations of tuning from Doyle since installation.

Thanks again to everyone who helped with the decision.

Happiness,
Andrew

Craig

Re: Square top mainsail for F35

Post by Craig »

I am getting new sails from Doyle. I actually ordered them a year and a half ago, but did not put them on the boat last year due to illness in the family.
One of the "original" Freedom sailmakers in RI did not get my business. I did get a bid from him.
When he learned that I ordered from someone else, he sent me a VERY nasty email and told me that I also "burned bridges" with his brother who makes other canvas and I could no longer do business with his brother.
I replied that I thought that he was being childish (in 5th grade, you could tell someone that they could not play with your brother, but we are adults now).
I thought to sending his email on to his parent company (the one with the Q) to let them know about the quality of their representative in RI but I decided to just leave it alone.
He keeps his boat at the same yard as I do, and he has made my wife very uncomfortable with his nasty looks.
So, personally, I advise people to avoid him.
Sailmaking is a small business and in the long run, a lot of it is about your relationship with the sailmaker.