Haarstick jib-top reacher

Tyche

Haarstick jib-top reacher

Post by Tyche »

Has anyone used one of these, as listed on the Haarstick web page? And more importantly, if you have one, good? Bad? Don't bother? How easy is it to deploy and furl??

Freedom Jib Top Reacher
The Freedom Jib Top Reacher is made to increase performance when sailing in light to moderate winds when the standard sail combination of of Full Battened Mainsail and Camber Spar Jib do not provide enough horse power.

The sail is made from 2.2oz CZ 15, Code Zero Laminate and has an apparent wind angle of 50-130 degree's.
Had a terrific summer sailing on Tyche - lots of great sailing, although a cruise to Maine put more than 100 hrs on the engine, with no wind from the E end of the Cape Cod Canal up to Penobscot Bay on either trip. Sadly, sailing season ends in the next two weeks, but a good list of winter work tweaks to the boat, including new lenses for the overhead ports and hopefully a new traveler system.

Hans

Re: Haarstick jib-top reacher

Post by Hans »

I have one on Scherezade and used a lot this summer on long stretches with little wind, mine comes with a snuffer which is
easy to use. When choosing anew I would probably prefer it to be furled along the luff, I think that's even easier to handle.
I love the sail, really makes a difference. Kept me sailing where I would use the 'iron genoa' instead. While it's a large sail I use it mostly
on longer stretches.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

bbarnewolt

Post by bbarnewolt »

Hans,
I saw Scherezde when she was at Warren River Boatworks. On your long runs with the Top Reacher, do you use running backstays? I don't recall if you had them or not.

Brien
Brien
1988 F36/38
Mattapoisett, MA

Hans

Post by Hans »

Brien,
I have them on Scherezade but almost never use them with the jib top reacher, it's not a sail you hoist with a lot of wind. When sailing to windward when the main is sheeted in, the mast top is enough stabilised by the mainsail to carry the jib top reacher and keep the luff quite straight. When the wind pipes up to more then around 15-17 knots ( apparent ) I take the jib top down. I use the running backstays mostly when the wind is really abaft the beam or almost completely aft, sailing with standard rig with 20+ knots. When using them in those circumstances they take away a lot of the strain on the deck where the mast goes through. The boat has already a lot of blue water sailing miles on her and some small creaks are appearing around the mast base. Use them also sailing with standard rig, when wind and sea conditions are making the boat slamming through the waves and resulting in moving the mast top too much to my liking. But generally speaking I use them less then I expected to do. When I started sailing with her I was a little worried about the movement of the mast top. Now I am more confident in what the mast can handle and wonder whether you need running backstays at all.
Last edited by Hans on Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

How are the sheets for the jib-top reacher controlled?

Are genoa winches required on the cockpit combing?

Thanks
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Hans

Post by Hans »

I have a snatch block to the toerail aft near the cockpit, from there to the winch on the cabin top as shown in picture. Not ideal, there's some chafing over the cockpit coaming you have to check.
I considered having winches on the cockpit coaming. But the coaming isn't made for it and should probably be strengthened. I found it too much of a hassle. Besides that, I use the jib top seldom, this configuration suits me well so far. The small ball bearing carbon block forward of the snatch block is for adjusting the sheeting angle.
I use it also to keep the camberspar to windward when I want to heave to.
Attachments
snatchblock config
snatchblock config
snatchblock.JPG (187.45 KiB) Viewed 8819 times
jibtopreacher.JPG
jibtopreacher.JPG (131.53 KiB) Viewed 8846 times

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi guys, so is the top reacher a code 0? Or is it different in some way?
Cheers Dale.

Hans

Post by Hans »

Indeed more or less a Code 0. I asked Haarstick to make me a Code 0. He answered that's not a good sail for a Freedom. A Code 0 needs a real tightened luff, which by definition is impossible for a Freedom.
He makes for the Freedom's a sail which functions almost like a Code 0 and named it 'jib top reacher'. Points not as high as a real Code 0. But high pointing isn't the reason I bought my Freedom for in the first place.

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Hans, thanks for your reply. Do you know how the jib top reacher is different from a code 0? How does it not need the tight luff tension that the code zero needs? The reason being is im in the Philippines and rolly tasker Thailand can supply me with a code zero and sock for approx $800. Where the top reacher and sock from Haarsticks is $1800 plus shipping, which is a little more than I would like to pay. Not sure you can answer this but thanks in advance.
Cheers Dale.

Hans

Post by Hans »

Hi Dale, indeed I can't answer for sure. I imagine it has something to do with the cut of the sail like entry and chord depth. Code 0's are meant to point as high as possible. I think you need then a flat entry and little cord depth and therefore a really straight luff, which you cannot have with a flexible mast.I am sure when rolly tasker knows you have a flexible mast he can compensate the cut for that. Good sailing,