Lazy Jack Modifications -F38

Ereiss

Lazy Jack Modifications -F38

Post by Ereiss »

I've been thinking of going from 2 to possible 3 or 4 legs on my lazy jacks. I'm tired of the sail falling off the boom when it drops. I know I'm adding more potential issues for the battens getting caught in the LJs.

Has anyone modified the original system to accommodate the additional legs? The price for a full replacement kit seems at of all proportion to the cost of the components.

Pictures and/or diagrams will be greatly appreciated.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

sailmon

Re: Lazy Jack Modifications -F38

Post by sailmon »

Our Mack Pack came with 4 legs. Trying to include picture. Not sure if it will appear.
Attachments
HD vermilion small.jpg
HD vermilion small.jpg (199.29 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Success! Let me know if you would like a diagram - I can scan and send over weekend.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Would greatly appreciate that. Thanks
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I put the Mack Pack lines on my 39 Express 6 years ago. It works for me.

To get around the battens hanging up in the lazy jacks I added a topping lift to the forward mast. To put sails up I pull the lazy jacks forward and secure them in the cleats used for the Mack Pack. I leave them pulled back while sailing to avoid the chafe on the sail. The boom is supported at this point with the topping lift. With the lazy jack line out of the way I can run the sail up with a Winch Mate set on high speed. Putting the sails down I put the lazy jack line back in place, a simple job of pulling one line tight to a mark on the line, and relaxing the topping lift. I have a hard top so I just let the aft boom rest in the boom gallows so the topping lift is not required.

I have intended to put a rigid vang on the forward boom for a few years to get rid of the topping lift but..........

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Ed,
Sorry for delay. Finally a beautiful sailing weekend on Lake Erie. see diagram for 4 leg lazy jacks below. Glad to answer any questions - on line or off line (sailmonoh@gmail.com).
Attachments
Lazy jacks.pdf
(947.73 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH