How to get rid of the bag (in the main)

hotstonp

How to get rid of the bag (in the main)

Post by hotstonp »

Greetings all,

I have a Freedom 33. The UK sloop rigged version of the F32.

No matter how hard I try I cannot get rid of a bag in the main. I hoist up the salt the max but once any pressure gets on the rig a bag forms from the Tack up the luff to a height of about 0.5 metre and then back along the sail for about a metre or so.

I originally thought it was the halyard so I replaced it with cruising dyneema. The clutches may be worn (and I haven't replaced them yet) but I have kept the line on the winch and I still get the bag.

I have no Cunningham on Feronia and that would solve the looks but not really the overall problem.

Is this just the case of having a warn mainsail that needs replacing? Having had a chat with the other resident F33 in OV yesterday we both seem to be suffering from the same problem.

The forums advice is sought!

Many thanks in advance
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

moosemcclintock

Re: How to get rid of the bag (in the main)

Post by moosemcclintock »

Could you post a picture of what you're talking about?

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

When I bought a new mainsail for my F38, I thought they cut it wrong because there was a big gap near the tack. I also thought maybe the halyard was slipping, but now I think the bend in the mast under sail creates that pouch because no amount of increasing halyard tensioning would get rid of it. Then I installed a cunningham and it works marvelously! The sail is beautiful now.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Hi Gamayun

I think you may have a point there. I have no cunningham (or outhaul for that matter) so this looks like it may require a little work over the winter as I do not have enough clutches and deck organisers for an outhaul and a cunningham.

I will take and post a picture of my sail... had too much fun sailing last weekend and forgot to take a picture.

Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Not sure of the cabin top set up on the 33, but my cunningham is run to port through a cam cleat that was installed next to the traveler cleat. The outhaul is cleated on the boom, which is hard to pull when loaded up. I still need to work on that. I was out sailing twice last weekend so I know the "problem" with these projects.

Good luck with your main sail!

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38