Chamber spar

Richard Abbinanti

Chamber spar

Post by Richard Abbinanti »

I have a question regarding the line holding the end of the chamber spar, which is attached to the mast. How is it attached to the mast, as I can not see it from the deck of the boat.
Thank you
Richard Abbinanti

mike cunningham

Re: Chamber spar

Post by mike cunningham »

On my 30 there is a tang extending port and stbd from the jib halyard sheave area, The tangs have inner and outer holes. On my boat the lazy jacks are shackled to the inner holes and the camber spar toppping lift is shackled to outer the hole on the stbd tang. I don't think it matters much which side you choose there are holes on both.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

This is the same as the attachment on the 36/38, though I wish I had known this was the topping lift for the jib before I removed it :oops: I am using the spinnaker halyard for this purpose in the meantime.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

The reason I know about this is i finally replaced my topping lift after 16 years (just before the LongPac). It was a pretty gnarley line after all that time.

Gilles over at G&C rigging and composites made me a nice light dyneema line with a soft shackle at the boom end. I use this to remove the topping lift on long trips. I attach the line to a bungee on the port toerail aft of the camberspar arc. The reason I do this is I rig a strap around the mast just below the gooseneck so I can attach a handhold at the mast (I use a large caribiner for actual handhold). This gives me something to grab hold of in a seaway when I am at the mast fussing with the mainsail or whatever. There is precious little to hold on to up there. Unfortunately the topping lift will often foul on the handhold so I like to secure it so it isn't whipping around in the foretriangle when the jib is set.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment