How do I fix this?

St-leg

How do I fix this?

Post by St-leg »

IMG_2044.JPG
IMG_2044.JPG (70 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
While sailing, our clew broke away from the boom. I think it was a shackle we lost but not certain. What do I replace this with and does the shackle piece go through the slide, outhaul wire and the clew? Thanks for your help. I have a 1990 freedom 32.

unfetteredalexandria

Re: How do I fix this?

Post by unfetteredalexandria »

On my Freedom 25, the clew of the sail attaches the wire outhaul with a good sized D-shackle, something like a Harken 2108 or 2115. My mainsail has a slider sewn into the foot at the clew, which is separate from the outhaul attachment. From your photo, I wonder if you just had a clevis or even maybe a cotter pin going through the slide, the clew, and the loop in the wire outhaul?
1984 round-mast Freedom 25
Western Shore of the Chesapeake

St-leg

Post by St-leg »

Thank you for your response. I hope to figure this out soon since my season's end is fast approaching - or a reasonable fix...I don't want to cause any damage.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I have a 32 but my boom and slider are different. From your picture it looks like something has been rubbing against the boom slider and my guess is it was the thimble of the outhaul wire. If so, I think that the hoop of the shackle went through the clew and the bolt of the shackle went through both the slider and the outhaul wire.  My guess is the shackle was a long D style, whatever size is wide enough to fit through the clue and long enough to reach from the clew to the slider.

Again, just guessing from afar, but I think it would work....

Rick
Tallahassee

St-leg

Post by St-leg »

Thanks Rick, that's exactly what my husband said.... not that I don't trust him. But he's not a sailor and happy to get a 2nd opinion.