Update Info - F21 Flat-Top Sail

Wilfred934

Update Info - F21 Flat-Top Sail

Post by Wilfred934 »

Hi Guys,

I am getting quotes from UK sailmakers for a new Flat-Top mainsail for my F21 and I have been reviewing previous postings on this topic - I would really appreciate feedback/comment on the following aspects please?

1) Sail Design: The previously posted sail specifications for the F21 main show 3 options and the Flat-Top sail is option C. This shows a 5 batten main with the horizontal batten at the sail head of 5ft 4" length. However the sails I have seen photos of show a slightly different geometry - for example I found a previously posted F21 Flat Top Doyle sail drawing with 5 battens & the top batten of 5ft 4" placed just below the horizontal head of the sail and canted-up at about 30 degrees with the horizontal head of the sail un-battened and about 4ft 6" long. Also Sanders Sails UK made an F21 main with what looks to be 6 battens sail with a horizontal battened head - see attached photo. Clark Myers appears to have posted a drawing from his sailmaker of a Flat-Top sail he purchased but I have been unable to find this drawing - If you see this post Clark is here any chance you could please PM me this drawing - or can anyone tell me where I can find it please? Is there a consensus on the best F21 Flat-Top sail design out there?

2) Sail Stowage: I have a stackpack sail cover on my F21 and I guess I would need to "unclip" any canted-up top batten from the sail track before stowing the sail down into the stackpack cover? This should be easy since I have a gate in my external sail track that allows me to detach the sail slider.

3) Batten Boxes/Sail Sliders: I have over-complex Rutgerson batten boxes on my current sail & my sailmaker suggests simpler batten boxes - any advice anyone? Also my current sail slides transfer pressure onto the inner face of the track & the sailmaker suggests more effective "Allslip" slides that bear on the outer face of he external sail track would be a better choice - does this make sense? Is a Flat-Top sail more difficult to raise & lower - more or less friction or about the same as a standard sail?

4) Practical Flat-Top Sail Experience: Finally what practical sailing feedback do you guys have who have switched to this type of sail? Comments on pointing ability/sail drive & sail setting differences would be much appreciated. Would anyone ever go back to the standard sail or is everything 100% positive about the F21 Flat Top sail?

All help appreciated before I order a sail.

Many thanks/best regards

Wilf Bishop
F21 DAYDREAM
Ullswater Yacht Club UK
Attachments
Sanders Sails F21 Sail
Sanders Sails F21 Sail
IMGP2505.JPG (18.68 KiB) Viewed 3458 times

Teke's Pride

Re: Update Info - F21 Flat-Top Sail

Post by Teke's Pride »

Hi Wilfred,

I got my sail made by Mack Sails in Stuart, FL to a design Moose had done for him by another loft. I'll see if I can find the links this weekend.
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke