Roller furler

daletournier

Roller furler

Post by daletournier »

Hi all, bobbing around doing a blistering 3knots at 2 am and thinking of various boat improvements or mods.
Have many of you done away with the self tacking jib in favor of a larger headsail on a furler? If so, are you happy with the change? Or has anyone kept the camberspar and added a furler forward of it with a permanently mounted larger sail? Thoughts?
Cheers Dale
Freeform

sailmon

Re: Roller furler

Post by sailmon »

End of next week, I will be installing my new headsail. We have ordered a somewhat flat cut tri-radial cruising spinnaker on a flexible (top down) furler. We designed it so the tack will be secured to the top of the bow pulpit, where the gun mount tube would normally be fastened. We have also designed a UV cover with zipper to go over the sail so we can leave it permanently installed. The cover will be pulled up by the Jib halyard. I'm planning to post pictures and give performance update once we've tried it out. Stay tuned.
Bob
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Dale- I'm wonderimg if a bigger sail is going to be worth much. Giving up the self tacking gives me pause. I can see off the wind putting a spinnaker or reacher on the pulpit or on a removable bowsprit. I looked at a F36 that had been converted to a Hout jib boom with roller furling- looked good. I sailed a F36 ketch for over a decade and used a mizzen staysail I made from an old Ranger 33 jenny that I recut- downwind I could sail the main by the lee up to 30 degrees and use that stays'l and the mizzen to leeward, or r eachi g up all three sails in a row. I'm looking forward to closing on a F38 with an asymmetric and playing with thajt. Sailmon- I'm loki g forward to your reports as you begin sailing!

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Thanks for the replies guys. I've mentioned previously that I'd purchased a jib top reacher. I'm really impressed. I don't want to give up the blade jib as it's advantages are obvious but the extra horsepower of the new sail up front really makes a difference, except I don't want to go through the hassle of putting it up all the the time, want it there permanently. To me the jibtop is a light weight , rope luff genoa using code zero laminate, the problem is you can't leave that stuff in the sun indefinitely. I'm interested in the cover you have designed , please keep us in the loop. I'm basically looking for away to have the advantages of the blade jib, lightweight jibtop and permanent roller furler.
I have a small asymmetrical, I'm not that impressed with it. I do like the idea of the hoyt boom. I've been at sea for the last week, as I get tired I hate getting on deck during the night, I want everything to be done from the cockpit. Roller furling is sounding more attractive.
Doing a refit when I reach Phuket in a couple of months so tossing around idea's.

Cheers Dale.

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Cheers and safe sailing, Dale! I have yet to see the asymmetric that goes with my potential,purchase as it was "lost"for a while. Hopefully it's big enough to make a difference.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Well, the day finally came - installed our asymmetric on a Seldon GX 10 TD furler. Easy to roll out, easy to furl and adds some nice horse power. Same set up could be used with code 1 or code 0. I forgot to take picture of sunbrella pull-up cover.
Here are the pictures of the set up.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (125.21 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Nice! Thanks for posting the update and the pictures. Where did you mount the winches? What size? Any additional details on the set up would be great to hear. I've been thinking about doing this for years now....
Kynntana, Freedom 38

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I'll be at the boat, end of this week and will take pictures of the cover and sheeting gear. General response to your questions, I snap shackled cheek blocks on toe rail just forward of stern pulpit. Starboard sheet is then led to the existing outboard winch under the dodger. I did same set up on port side and installed a small winch and cam cleat to left of companion way. Works well and (so far) does not interfere with people sitting in or moving about the cockpit.
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Continuing to enjoy sail. Wishing it was a bit flatter. Can sail around 60 degrees apparent - would like to be able to point a little higher. Have attached pictures of furled sail (quite compact), furling gear, port winch, furler cam cleat, and swivel block at corner. We are having some difficulties with cover. Loft made cover relatively wide so it would easily slide up furled sail - pulled up by Jib halyard. Cover really whips in the wind - and becasue mast is unstayed, mast, lifelines, etc. shake pretty heavily. I wrapped the camberspar topping lift around the cover - which definitely tamed it... problem is the line chafed the cover making holes in several locations. Working on possible solutions.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.75 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (128.35 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.42 KiB) Viewed 8325 times
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

sailmon