Roller furler

papabenn

Re: Roller furler

Post by papabenn »

We are interested in converting/replacing our camber spar to something more manageable without going forward to raise or lower it. Has anyone looked into a lazy jack arrangement? Trying desparately to eliminate going forward especially in rough wind and sea conditions.

papabenn

Post by papabenn »

We are interested in converting/replacing our camber spar to something more manageable without going forward to raise or lower it. Has anyone looked into a lazy jack arrangement? Trying desparately to eliminate going forward especially in rough wind and sea conditions.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I'm thinking the flexible furler might be an option. We elected to put a flat cut asymmetrical on ours, but it could easily be used with code 0, code 1, screecher or genoa. Not sure about lazy jacks for jib. Our camber spar jib did not fall very easily and I typically ended up going to fore deck to pull it down. I tried a down haul - but with little success. One of our goals was to clear the foredeck for easier anchoring and docking. Furler on the foresail did the trick.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

bobr

Post by bobr »

papabenn wrote:We are interested in converting/replacing our camber spar to something more manageable without going forward to raise or lower it. Has anyone looked into a lazy jack arrangement? Trying desparately to eliminate going forward especially in rough wind and sea conditions.
If you do a search you will find a post from Mark Edwards with a sketch of a couple of different jib containment systems he worked up. I haven't tried them.

I am following the suggestion of Dwight Escalera, also found on this board. Disconnect the topping lift from the end of the camberspar. To douse jib bring the boat head to wind, sheet it in to the center line and let go of the halyard. The weight of the spar will bring 90 per cent or more of the jib right down on the deck. Wait until you reach calm waters to go forward to tidy it up. Then clip halyard to the aft end of the spar and adjust height to your preference. I like being able to haul it up high to put the cover on, and then lower it to where it would be fixed in position if the topping lift was in place. It works well for me.

You should also read the posts from those who have converted to roller furling. It is a bit pricey. I have personally talked (in real time) with one owner who wishes he hadn't done it (he complained about the complexity and the jib being blanketed downwind just like a "normal" rig).
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Bob, when I leave my jibtop reacher up (in sock) when the wind picks up it also shakes the mast alot, I was wondering if your idea would be better.

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Hey Dale,
Furler has been great success. We continue to refine the cover. When the loft first cut it, they made the diameter too wide (based on the diameter of the rolled sail in the loft) . In a breeze, it acted like a flag, whipping back and forth. Now that the sail is on the boat and furled with just a bit of resistance from the sheet, it rolls up to a much smaller diameter - small enough that they are actually able to cut the cover diameter in half. They are also installing cris-crossed lines through loops on the cover so we can (hopefully) cinch it tight once it is pulled up. I'm picking it up later this week and will send pictures as soon as I have it installed.
Bob
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

CaptLen

Post by CaptLen »

Neat! Thanks for the info!

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Thanks Bob.

FreeB

Post by FreeB »

9 yrs ago I installed a Forespar LeisureFurl Offshore boom replacing my main...and a Harken rolling furler system for my jib...this was mainly done for safety and to simplify adjustments as I single hand my Pedrick 35. 3 yrs ago I added an asymmetrical spinnaker using a Karver KSF system attached to a fabricated sprit attached to the second anchor roller. All 3 systems function as expected and are worth all the money invested when the weather goes all to hell.