Stepping the mast this week

gamayun

Stepping the mast this week

Post by gamayun »

So after three months, I'm finally ready to step the mast on my F38 this Thursday. There's great info on the forum about removing the collar and the (original) blue ring but not so much about how this all fits together in the reverse. It seems to me that I need to fit the collar and the bolts on first, then the ring and then the mast just drops down in there. Is this right? There's nothing underneath the blue ring to hold it, so I'm not sure how it is going to compress in place when the mast comes down. Can someone enlighten me? No one at the yard knows how this is going to work either...
Kynntana, Freedom 38

wcwcwc

Re: Stepping the mast this week

Post by wcwcwc »

You will need to have the metal ring on the mast, suspended from the gooseneck, before installation begins. Be sure the flange will be facing up. Lower the mast through the deck and onto the step. Rotate the mast to align with the securing mechanism at the step, this may be a through bolt all the way through the mast or a right angle bracket which bolts to the step and the mast (mine was like the latter). You should have received a hard plastic wedge ring with the boat. This is placed around the mast and driven down until flush with the deck. Caulk around the metal ring on the deck with silicone (NOT 4200 or 5200), mask around the ring to prevent caulk from getting on the deck. Lower the ring (collar) onto the bolts and tighten down the nuts. Fill the space between the mast and the collar with silicone. All done.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

jamesorr

Post by jamesorr »

I kind of assumed that all Freedom's mast configuration, regardless, on my 1988 F32 (Mull), the deck has a "mast ring" which is bolted to the deck with 10 3/8" bolts, and has 8 similar bolts which are "pointing" up, for holding the mast collar down after mast stepping (by the way, the upward pointing bolts appear to just be bedded in 5200? to prevent them from turning -- which works, but refrain from over torquing the nuts on holding the collar in place -- unless you want to planning on removing/replacing it -- long story of course). The stepping process on my boat, means inserting the mast, then inserting the original orange (for me at least) urethane wedge -- which is approximately the circumference of the mast at deck level (about an inch short on my boat), and lastly, lowering the mast collar unto the wedge/ring and bolting it down (the mast collar stays with my mast).

Couple of points to note, hopefully the urethane wedge will be installed as to most be at deck level, if not, attempt to get it nearly so (a length of wood, small sledge can be helpful here), I then put a small bead of silicone (although I plan on using butyl tape this year) near the outside edge of the ring/collar), and then fit, bolt the collar to the ring, snug should be enough, as the urethane wedge should/will do all of the actual work holding the mast in place, the collar largely meant to hold the wedge in place. I store my boat inside, and thus have the mast stepped/un-stepped every season, and it really doesn't have to be a fearful event, given a bit of knowledge. The first marina that tried to unstep they mast, un bolted the collar, and then attempted to pull the mast thinking that the mast/wedge would just pop out -- well, the sight of the boat being pulled out of the water, with no movement of the wedge disavowed them of this possibility. We then proceeded to "pound" out the wedge from below with a piece of wood -- which took a while and wasn't really that much fun. My current yard just inserts a large screwdriver in the gap (noted above) in the wedge from above and works it out that way -- hold task spanning about 10 seconds.

Once the wedge is free, the mast is just "floating" in the hole, whereupon they hoist the mast out. One last important point, there is a threaded rod at the mast step (slots in), which I believe keeps the mast from rotating (although to be honest, am someone doubtful it could move regardless, given how tightly the wedge is (although your mileage may vary, particularly if the original wedge is not in use), which is removed easily, once the mast has been hoisted a foot or two (but it does need to be removed to get past the deck opening). Note, on my boat, this rod does just slot in (and does not need to be removed before starting to hoist the mast). On the first evolution, I did remove this (somewhat laboriously) before we started to hoist the mast -- was not required, must easier after the base is a couple of feet in the air.

Stepping the mast is normally a 5 minute exercise (mast goes in hole, person below decks inserts the rod, lowers unto mast step, inserts urethane wedge (I then spend 10 of fifteen minutes putting a bead of silicone, lowering the collar and bolting it down -- and then another 10-15 minutes getting all the wires re-connected). Un-steping again is a similar exercise -- I disconnect the wiring, unbolt the collar, the yard removes the wedge, starts the hoist, removes the rod, completes the hoist. One other potential point of concern -- hope the previous owner did not use the 5200 to "adhere" the collar to the ring -- completely unnecessary and it "will" be problematic separating the two.
James Orr
Orr What
1988 Freedom 32 (Mull)
Sodus Bay, NY

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

Getting ready to step too. the steps described by previous poster look spot on. I also agree with the butyl tape approach as opposed to silicone. I plan on using butyl around the mast collar base as well as to seal the gap between collar and mast and the bolt ends, I have become a complete convert to butyl as I have worked through a pulpit refit stanchion resealing, etc. It seems bulletproof when done correctly and comes off when you need it to come off.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

I look forward to hearing how the butyl caulk works. In prep for leaving Great Lakes and retirement cruising (leaving summer 2017) we will be taking mast down and moving boat into shop this winter (change from VC 17 to ocean paint, raise water line, adjust mast step, install new equipment...). Cleaning up the dried silicone is definitely the worst part about unstepping & restepping. We will be restepping in spring, sailing to northern Great Lakes over summer, unstepping in late summer to go down Erie Canal and restepping before entering Hudson River. Not having to clean off silicone would be huge plus.

I guess biggest question is - will mast flexing permit water to enter?
Thanks,
Bob
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

bobr

Post by bobr »

Bob,

What do you use to clean up the dried silicone and the dirt it attracts?
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

mike cunningham

Post by mike cunningham »

sailmon wrote:I look forward to hearing how the butyl caulk works. In prep for leaving Great Lakes and retirement cruising (leaving summer 2017) we will be taking mast down and moving boat into shop this winter (change from VC 17 to ocean paint, raise water line, adjust mast step, install new equipment...). Cleaning up the dried silicone is definitely the worst part about unstepping & restepping. We will be restepping in spring, sailing to northern Great Lakes over summer, unstepping in late summer to go down Erie Canal and restepping before entering Hudson River. Not having to clean off silicone would be huge plus.

I guess biggest question is - will mast flexing permit water to enter?
Thanks,
Bob

Interesting you should mention mast flex. I removed all rigging at home and steamed over to the yard for the mast pull. The trip took four hours, most of which I spent removing silicone. Followed by more silicone removal once the mast was out. What a mess.

But back to the point. As I removed silicone during the trip I paid close attention to the gap between ring and mast. Eventually I could observe the open gap very clearly. I believe the gap was on the order of 1/8 inch or so all the way round. A bit wider on the starboard side but only by about 1/16 inch. I did steam through some heavy chop during this trip and saw absolutely no flex at the partners as might be evidenced by observing the width of the gap change. Surely it could have moved but the movement must have been very slight to not be observable. Butyl tape is quite flexible even after many years. I think it will be more than up to the task of sealing the ring at the partners. The trick is to get it into the gap and to get an adequate bead. A little application care should do the trick.

Here is a write up on its use from a site I have a lot of respect for. The guy sells butyl tape formulated for marine use. One roll will last you for a loooong time.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebe ... are&page=1
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Thanks for info on butyl tape. I will pursue.
Regarding question about cleaning up old silicone, I begin with single edge razor blade (either hand-held or in a painters window scraper) and carefully cut off the caulk. I then use mineral spirits to soften the remaining caulk and residue. Once softened, I scrape it off with finger nail, plastic scraper (type used to spread epoxy) or other non aggressive tool. I will sometimes finish off the stubborn spots with a gentle scotch bright pad soaked in mineral spirits. While I would never go back to wires, for me, this is one of the drawbacks of the Freedoms - especially if you are un-stepping with some frequency. Silicone needs to be cleaned from the partners, top and bottom of metal mast ring and the mast itself.
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

My F33 masts have a slightly different collar arrangement than you describe for is one, but I've used butyl tape/putty around the metal rings over the partners, with great success. I used the black very sticky version of it, probably the same stuff cited above. Mine was leftover from the Newfound Metals portlight replacement project, instead of ordered there.

Nothing even thought about leaking, and I was able to unbolt, and pry the rings up a fraction of an inch before the masts were removed....and leave the rings and the putty on them with a little bit added in to make sure it was a good seal when I bolted them all back together upon reassembly.
s/v Flutterby, Freedom 33 cat ketch, now junk rigged