mast step issue

bobr

mast step issue

Post by bobr »

I bought the boat March 2015, mast was out at time of survey.

Mast was installed by yard that had handled it for several years.

Took boat to my yard last fall, they pulled the mast.

Upon re-installation this spring they are concerned about a small gap between bottom of mast and the mast step. You can just get the edge of a fingertip in between, less than 1/8th of an inch. They tried repeatedly to get it to seat fully without success. The bolt did install properly.

Top photo below with wires connected (IMG_1590) is how the original yard installed it last year. Clearer photo (IMG_1973) is how it looks now. Both images are looking down the mast towards the step.

Thanks for any input.
Attachments
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG (42.19 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG (35.86 KiB) Viewed 3474 times
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

gamayun

Re: mast step issue

Post by gamayun »

Bob, even though the gap is toward the bow and seems counter intuitive (to me anyway), I am pretty sure this is the channel for the drain if water comes down from inside the mast although that area looks a bit different than in my F38. There's a drain tube running underneath the top hat and this seems to be the only way for the water to go. It can't go aft of the mast because there's a "dam" built on that step where the wires are located. And speaking of those wires, I'm going to be routing them to a junction box adjacent to and above from where they exit the mast and then above the door and around the side rather than through the bilge because wires + water = not such a great idea....
Mast step with tie down rod_5-7-16.jpg
Mast step with tie down rod_5-7-16.jpg (179.41 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
Kynntana, Freedom 38

bobr

Re: mast step issue

Post by bobr »

Thanks, Gamayun.

Your theory makes sense, the water needs a way to escape.

I agree the wires in the bilge is not ideal. I never get any water standing in this section which tells me my mast must be pretty well sealed up, and/or it drains rapidly aft.

Thanks for your input.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT