Converting to reefing without shuttle block

Belanich

Converting to reefing without shuttle block

Post by Belanich »

Hi All,
Back online to pick your brains again. This time I have a question about reefing blocks. The PO did not set up the reefing lines properly or he just never reefed the main. There is a single line through the boom from the clew end blocks to the mast end blocks. This line goes down toward the deck but is not attached to anything. There is a shuttle block sliding back and forth in the boom that is not connected to anything - I have to pull it out one day. The manual that came with the boat has this picture in it.
Freedom 36 Boom.jpg
Freedom 36 Boom.jpg (75.1 KiB) Viewed 15127 times
I think one of the PO switched to shuttle block reefing because the setup in the picture is not possible. The mast end blocks inside the boom only allow the reefing line to go down toward the deck. If I switch the line to the other side of the sheave the sheave would lift out (the sheave are drop in type from isomat). I want to convert to single line reefing as shown in the picture. Has anyone done this?
Thanks once again,
Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto, F38 #65

CaptLen

Re: Converting to reefing without shuttle block

Post by CaptLen »

No- my boat was rigged as per the manual. It would not be hard to rig outside the boom, the drawback being slack line that would have to be furled into the sail when dropping sails. I don't know the setup that you have as I had a stock boom (Kenyon, I think) but you might be able to place a new block in your boom. Sounds like it's set up for separate tack and clew reeds, which is not so bad as the stock system tends to build up friction at the tack end then not want to properly tension the clew. My soslution has been to drop the halyard to a preset point with the tack cringle enough above the goosempneck sso that it keeps friction to a minimum. I have been thinking of rerigging to separate tack and clew reefs, though....

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Yeah, these reefing lines running up and down and all over just confuse me. I have two reefs in my sail. The first reef has the butterfly blocks still intact in the boom. The second reef is a single line. I will take pictures and try to post later today of the block set up on the mast collar and where the lines terminate. That's the most confusing part. You will end up with a lot of line on the single line reefing, but much less friction. No matter what you do, however; you'll have to lots of extra line dangling around when you flake the sail and will need to stuff it in the sail at the mast and also at the boom end. It's not really reasonable to pull these lines taut every time you stow the sail because you then have to pull the lines out standing at the mast when you raise the main again.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

bobr

Post by bobr »

Michael,

My forward end of boom blocks also require the lines to go down to the deck. Here is a picture of the blocks at my mast after the lines were removed for winter storage. The 2 at the left of the photo handle the reefing lines. One set runs the reefing lines up to rings in the sail, passes through them and then down to shackles on the mast.One block runs the lines back to the cockpit. I have the Isomat mast and reefing system. There is info on it on the web.

I'm not sold on single line reefing. My system seems to work ok, but there is a huge amount of excess line and as mentioned above it has to be stuffed in the sail at both ends. Otherwise it is all over the cockpit and it tends to bind up in the clutches when raising the sail. I'm in a light wind area and only reef once or twice a year, usually at the mooring before casting off. So for me it would not be a big deal to go forward to the mast to reef as I did on prior boats (granted those mainsails were half the size of this one!).

Good luck with your project.
Attachments
blocks.JPG
blocks.JPG (44.24 KiB) Viewed 15103 times
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

This is how my mast base looked before I converted 4 of those blocks to 2 Garhauer fiddle blocks with snap shackle and one with a Becket. It's sooo much cleaner now.

https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=5
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

The drawing is wrong. I had the same problem when I had a 30. This era Freedom used an Isomat boom. You do use the shutle block. The reefing lines lead over the blocks in the boom, down to the base of the mast and them up to the sail where they terminate. This image gives you an idea of what I mean.
Attachments
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 15076 times
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

bobr

Post by bobr »

gamayun wrote:This is how my mast base looked before I converted 4 of those blocks to 2 Garhauer fiddle blocks with snap shackle and one with a Becket. It's sooo much cleaner now.

https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=5
Would love to see a pic of your new set up if you get the chance.
Bob R.
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Here is a picture of the first reef, which runs through the butterfly blocks in the boom. It also goes through a block at the cringle to reduce friction, but I'm still not sure I like this set up. I can't get the clew all the way down. I think I'll have a rigger look at it and give me some advice. It's frustrating not getting this right and I rarely reef so verifying how the fixes are working is never a high priority when I'm out sailing.
Attachments
Fiddle blocks with becket for reefing line.jpg
Fiddle blocks with becket for reefing line.jpg (199.48 KiB) Viewed 15015 times
Kynntana, Freedom 38

bobr

Post by bobr »

Thanks for the picture, gamayun.

That is a nice clean solution.
Bob R.
"Liberty"