Dust at mast step

walterg

Dust at mast step

Post by walterg »

Hi, I'm the new (I think third) owner of a Mull 28 sloop hull #33 that has been very nicely cared for. During the first half-dozen times I've had her out so far I note that there is always a little dusting of what looks like graphite on the floor around the mast step. Is this normal or is it indicative of something that needs to be checked out with the mast? Was planning to store her for the winter (in MA) with the mast stepped but if I need to pull the mast would rather do it now vs. spring.
Last edited by walterg on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

bobr

Re: Carbon dust at mast step

Post by bobr »

I'm going to guess (and hope) that it is normal since I have it too, and the mast is still standing. My mast is pulled every year and all looks well despite the dust.
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

sailorchris

Post by sailorchris »

Same problem with our 28 (#46 - last one) every year when we unstep. I doubt it's affecting the structural integrity because it's just a few grams of material. We're also in Mass and owned for 3 years. Finally feeling like we know the boat well.

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

Is it really carbon dust or is it from the black foam padding around the electrical cables that is wearing off as the halyard goes up and down. That is what I contributed the dust to.
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI