??Spinnaker question??

mdedionisio

??Spinnaker question??

Post by mdedionisio »

Hey folks! Question for those that have used any type of chute on a Freedom 30 or 32, or I suppose even on a 36. Do you incorporate the running backstays described in the F32 manual for rigging a spinnaker? I can't imagine where they would attach on the mast. Obviously, they should be connected at the top of the headstay, but I don't see any tangs or anything like that to connect to. My 30 has just about everything I need to fly the chute, except for the launching sock. I'm also considering scrapping the entire gun mount deal and going with a normal cruising chute. Has anyone tried running a cruising chute from the masthead on a 30 or 32? Thanks in advance!

Mark DeDionisio

rvivian

Re: ??Spinnaker question??

Post by rvivian »

Mark -

Some Freedoms are using a "Top Reacher" instead of an asymmetrical chute. It is flown from the top of the gunmount tube to the spinnaker halyard sheeve on the mast. No running backstays required.

See: http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic. ... her#p48621

or search the site.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Davidu

Re: ??Spinnaker question??

Post by Davidu »

My only spinnaker experience is with the hoyt 32. at this point that consists of flying it once in light air.

so take that for what its worth.

I was seriously impressed by what it allows me to do. also with how easy it is on a day to day basis. I am a fair weather daysailor at the moment and I expect to cruise eventually. Based on this first experience, I am very happy with the stock system.

To your question. No running backstay on the hoyt 32 but i believe they do recommend it on the 21

Trying to get some footage and pictures once its all run will upload for the record and the hive mind.